LibreOffice 5.3 to Launch with a Microsoft Office-like Ribbon UI
John Corliss
2016-12-17 13:50:52 UTC
"LibreOffice is working on a pretty significant overhaul of its
interface that would have the productivity suite adopt a new toolbar
design similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon UI."

At this point, LibreOffice’s new Ribbon-inspired UI is still in the
works, but it’s already available in experimental version 5.3 and anyone
can see how it looks using the steps below.

The Microsoft Office ribbon was officially introduced in Office 2007 as
a way to make working with the productivity suite easier. Microsoft
called the new interface “Fluent UI,” grouping all toolbars into a
single one with multiple tabs providing quick access to the essential
features.

Microsoft originally implemented the Ribbon UI only in Word, Excel,
Access, and PowerPoint, but with the release of Office 2010, all
applications included in the productivity suite adopted it. The feature
then expanded to other Windows apps as well, including here Paint and
File Explorer."

Read full article here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/libreoffice-5-3-to-launch-with-a-microsoft-office-like-ribbon-ui-511061.shtml

or:

http://tinyurl.com/zcofluf
--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
calling itself "»Q«".
John Corliss
2016-12-17 13:52:20 UTC
Post by John Corliss
[...]
PS. I'm still holding out until they implement a WordPerfect-like
"Reveal Codes" feature.
calling itself "»Q«".
Yrrah
2016-12-17 15:11:00 UTC
Post by John Corliss
Post by John Corliss
"LibreOffice is working on a pretty significant overhaul of its
interface that would have the productivity suite adopt a new toolbar
design similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon UI."
http://news.softpe...
It's "an alternative (optional) interface".
Post by John Corliss
PS. I'm still holding out until they implement a WordPerfect-like
"Reveal Codes" feature.
Have you suggested it to them?

BTW, much more important Softpedia news:
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/linux-mint-18-1-serena-officially-released-with-cinnamon-3-2-and-mate-1-16-511051.shtml>
and
<http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Linux-Mint-Stable-30183.shtml>
;-) ;-) ;-)

Yrrah
John Corliss
2016-12-18 01:52:54 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by John Corliss
PS. I'm still holding out until they implement a WordPerfect-like
"Reveal Codes" feature.
Have you suggested it to them?
Somebody had a project going at one time for an addon which had this
capability, but because of the way LibreOffice formats its documents
(like MS Office does instead of the HTML-like way that WordPerfect
does), implementing it was too impractical and AFAIK, the project is
either in Limbo or has been dropped.
calling itself "»Q«".
Maurice Helwig
2016-12-17 20:56:49 UTC
Post by John Corliss
[...]
Can It be disabled.
I have to use word 2007 where I do some volunteer work and I hate the
ribbon toolbar so much I refuse to use it. I obtained a German produced
piece of plugin freeware to give me the drop down menus again. I use
Open office at home and was considering moving to Libre Office, but now
with a ribbon menu -- no.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice Helwig
~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Corliss
2016-12-18 01:53:51 UTC
Post by Maurice Helwig
Post by John Corliss
[...]
According to the article, at this point it's optional. Looks like that
might change in a future version though.
calling itself "»Q«".
CRNG
2016-12-18 13:13:43 UTC
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 06:56:49 +1000, Maurice Helwig
Post by Maurice Helwig
Can It be disabled.
I have to use word 2007 where I do some volunteer work and I hate the
ribbon toolbar so much I refuse to use it. I obtained a German produced
piece of plugin freeware to give me the drop down menus again. I use
Open office at home and was considering moving to Libre Office, but now
with a ribbon menu -- no.
Check out Softmaker FreeOffice
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/

Very compatible with MS Office, and you can install it on a USB stick
http://www.freeoffice.com/en/tips-and-tricks-portable-installation
David H. Lipman
2016-12-18 13:35:49 UTC
Post by Maurice Helwig
Post by John Corliss
[...]
I hear you. The Ribbon idea just plain sucks.
Pulldown menus are more intuitive, take up less space and is more
efficient and one of the reasons I prefer LibreOffice over MS Office >2007.
--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Jeffrey Needle
2016-12-17 21:26:10 UTC
Post by John Corliss
"LibreOffice is working on a pretty significant overhaul of its
interface that would have the productivity suite adopt a new toolbar
design similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon UI."
NOOOOOOOO! Don't do this!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to find
another office suite if they do this!!!!
Maurice Helwig
2016-12-18 02:10:06 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Needle
Post by John Corliss
"LibreOffice is working on a pretty significant overhaul of its
interface that would have the productivity suite adopt a new toolbar
design similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon UI."
NOOOOOOOO! Don't do this!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to find
another office suite if they do this!!!!
I agree with you completely. Why does Libreoffice have to follow MS --
who says MS have all the good ideas???????
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice Helwig
~~~~~~~~~~~~
CRNG

Shadow
2016-12-18 13:50:44 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Needle
Post by John Corliss
"LibreOffice is working on a pretty significant overhaul of its
interface that would have the productivity suite adopt a new toolbar
design similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon UI."
NOOOOOOOO! Don't do this!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to find
another office suite if they do this!!!!
Fools. People use LibreOffice because they like it, not
because it "looks like M$".
Like Gnome 3, when they abandoned the old interface so it
would "look like Win 8". Or Firefox trying to be "just like Chrome".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012