uTorrent malicious or potentially dangerous?
Yrrah
2015-07-22 13:26:07 UTC
"Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after
identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In
addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on
uTorrent's official website. According to the reports the popular
file-sharing application is linked to riskware and trojans.(...)
The scanning result from VirusTotal shows that at least six anti-virus
applications, including ESET and Symantec, have flagged the software
as problematic.(...)"
These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered
by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or
evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.
We asked BitTorrent Inc. for a comment on the recent reports but the
company has yet to respond.
<https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-flagged-as-harmful-by-antivirus-companies-and-google-150721/>

Yrrah
Mark Warner
2015-07-22 14:33:46 UTC
Post by Yrrah
These and the other uTorrent threat reports all seem to be triggered
by bundled third-party software bundled. There is no indication or
evidence that the BitTorrent client itself is harmful.
Bundled crap and foistware is the new scourge, far more prevalent than
actual viruses/malware. It's fairly rare that I run into any actual
viruses/malware in my cleanup work, but the accumulated garbage programs
(Open Candy, toolbars, Ask Search, etc.) and what they bring with them
is no less impactful and no less difficult to clean up. I spent all
freaking evening yesterday cleaning up an old Vista laptop that was
barely usable because of it. MBAM, AdwCleaner, JRT, and CCleaner did
much of the job, but it still took a bunch of manual uninstalling and/or
deleting to get it cleaned out sufficiently for the machine to run as it
should.
--
Mark Warner
...lose .inhibitions when replying
»Q«
2015-07-24 01:07:40 UTC
On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:33:46 -0400
Post by Mark Warner
Bundled crap and foistware is the new scourge, far more prevalent
than actual viruses/malware. It's fairly rare that I run into any
actual viruses/malware in my cleanup work, but the accumulated
garbage programs (Open Candy, toolbars, Ask Search, etc.) and what
they bring with them is no less impactful and no less difficult to
clean up. I spent all freaking evening yesterday cleaning up an old
Vista laptop that was barely usable because of it. MBAM, AdwCleaner,
JRT, and CCleaner did much of the job, but it still took a bunch of
manual uninstalling and/or deleting to get it cleaned out
sufficiently for the machine to run as it should.
Windows "freeware" has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-24 07:12:35 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Bundled crap and foistware is the new scourge, far more prevalent
than actual viruses/malware. It's fairly rare that I run into any
actual viruses/malware in my cleanup work, but the accumulated
garbage programs (Open Candy, toolbars, Ask Search, etc.) and what
they bring with them is no less impactful and no less difficult to
clean up. I spent all freaking evening yesterday cleaning up an old
Vista laptop that was barely usable because of it. MBAM, AdwCleaner,
JRT, and CCleaner did much of the job, but it still took a bunch of
manual uninstalling and/or deleting to get it cleaned out
sufficiently for the machine to run as it should.
Windows "freeware" has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host.
Talk about FUD. I haven't run into any such crap in a very long time.
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not to
install it.
--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share,
spy, time-limited, trial or web wares. No warez for me either please:

I filter out any messages to this newsgroup which come from Google
Groups and recommend that you do likewise.
Shadow
2015-07-24 12:24:20 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:12:35 -0700, "John Corliss (ES)"
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Windows "freeware" has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host.
Talk about FUD. I haven't run into any such crap in a very long time.
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not to
install it.
Want me to send over a kilo of coffee ?
;)
As to uTorrent, use version 2.04.22450. It does exactly what
the new versions do, without the crap.
If anyone still needs the DHT patch(to override long defunct
private tracker blocking), I can post it.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Yrrah
2015-07-24 13:17:00 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Windows "freeware" has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host.
Talk about FUD. I haven't run into any such crap in a very long time.
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not to
install it.
Yeah, you and the rest of a rather small minority, but most computer
users, and almost all smartphone users, prefer dancing pigs:
"Many of our potential users are inexperienced computer users, who do
not understand the risks involved in using interactive Web content.
This means we must rely on the user's judgement as little as possible.
As Edward Felten says, 'given the choice between dancing pigs and
security, users will choose dancing pigs every time.'. "
(read "interactive, installable or downloadable" instead of
"interactive")
From:
<http://www-archive.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/reviewguide.html>
(written 2.5 years before the release of FF 1.0 !)

Yrrah
Yrrah

Yrrah
Mark Warner
2015-07-24 15:30:06 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by Mark Warner
[...]
Most people aren't as special as you are, John.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-24 23:12:13 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by Mark Warner
[...]
That's "Spay-shull".

»Q«
2015-07-25 01:35:45 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Bundled crap and foistware is the new scourge, far more prevalent
than actual viruses/malware. It's fairly rare that I run into any
actual viruses/malware in my cleanup work, but the accumulated
garbage programs (Open Candy, toolbars, Ask Search, etc.) and what
they bring with them is no less impactful and no less difficult to
clean up. I spent all freaking evening yesterday cleaning up an old
Vista laptop that was barely usable because of it. MBAM,
AdwCleaner, JRT, and CCleaner did much of the job, but it still
took a bunch of manual uninstalling and/or deleting to get it
cleaned out sufficiently for the machine to run as it should.
Windows "freeware" has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host.
Talk about FUD.
<shrug> If you think the Windows "freware" ecosystem is anything close
to healthy, I wonder what you're smoking.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I haven't run into any such crap in a very long time.
It's what a large portion of the posts hear are about. A very large
portion if you throw out off-topic posts about the future of
Microsoft's commercial products.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not
to install it.
Sure, the Windows freeware/slimeware world works just fine for
people who've accepted that they must be constantly on guard against the
slimeware they download.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-25 08:02:05 UTC
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by Mark Warner
[...]
To throw a statement like yours out there implying that all freeware is
contaminated makes me wonder what *you're* smoking. Thoroughly
irresponsible.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not
to install it.
Sure, the Windows freeware/slimeware world works just fine for
people who've accepted that they must be constantly on guard against the
slimeware they download.
As I said in my reply, I haven't seen any bundleware for a while. Not to
say that it isn't out there, just that I don't see it but once in a
great while. That you would try to scare people away from freeware like
you are doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.

p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
2015-07-25 08:56:09 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by John Corliss (ES)
And when I did, since I'm smart enough to breath, I simply opted not
to install it.
Sure, the Windows freeware/slimeware world works just fine for
people who've accepted that they must be constantly on guard against the
slimeware they download.
As I said in my reply, I haven't seen any bundleware for a while. Not to
say that it isn't out there, just that I don't see it but once in a
great while. That you would try to scare people away from freeware like
you are doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
The Linux mob can't help themselves. It's micro soft penis envy.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
--
p-0.0-h the cat

the SCOURGE, l33t p00h d3 tr0ll, p00h == lam3r, p00h == tr0ll,
troll infâme, the OVERCAT [The BEARPAIR are dead, and we are its murderers]
lowlife troll, shyster [pending approval by STATE_TERROR], cripple,
sociopath, kook, smug prick, smartarse, arsehole, moron, idiot, imbecile,
snittish scumbag, liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur,
scouringerer, the most complete ignoid, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896
»Q«
2015-07-26 20:33:04 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 01:02:05 -0700
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by Mark Warner
[...]
I didn't imply that, so you wasted your time wondering. I take it your
entire response was based on your misunderstanding?
Post by John Corliss (ES)
That you would try to scare people away from freeware like you are
doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how slimy it
has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to read Mark's
paragraph above.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-26 22:56:40 UTC
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Whoa whoa whoa. Back up. In the first place, you said:

"Windows 'freeware' has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host."

And in fact, you didn't imply that all freeware is contaminated, you
clearly stated that this was so. Kind of difficult to misunderstand that
claim. So my response was based simply on your remark, which couldn't
have been clearer.
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
That you would try to scare people away from freeware like you are
doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how slimy it
has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to read Mark's
paragraph above.
Q, are you for real? You know perfectly well how long I've been involved
in this newsgroup and with freeware in general.

If you're going to make such remarks, back them up with examples.
Otherwise, you're just generating FUD.

2015-07-26 23:00:57 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
That you would try to scare people away from freeware like you are
doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how slimy it
has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to read Mark's
paragraph above.
Q, are you for real? You know perfectly well how long I've been involved
in this newsgroup and with freeware in general.
If you're going to make such remarks, back them up with examples.
Otherwise, you're just generating FUD.
Plonk him John. He's a troll.

»Q«
2015-07-26 23:20:15 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:56:40 -0700
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
I didn't imply that, so you wasted your time wondering. I take it
your entire response was based on your misunderstanding?
"Windows 'freeware' has evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which
devours slowly the host."
That's what I said.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
And in fact, you didn't imply that all freeware is contaminated, you
clearly stated that this was so.
Not at all.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Kind of difficult to misunderstand that claim.
Easy for you to say.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
So my response was based simply on your remark, which couldn't have
been clearer.
Well, that clears it up for at least one of us.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
That you would try to scare people away from freeware like you are
doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how
slimy it has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to
read Mark's paragraph above.
Q, are you for real? You know perfectly well how long I've been
involved in this newsgroup and with freeware in general.
Yes, so I know how aware you are of the state of "free" Windows
slimeware. You used to complain about it yourself, but AFAICT you now
find even mentioning it objectionable and "scary".
Post by John Corliss (ES)
If you're going to make such remarks, back them up with examples.
Are you really asking me for examples of Windows "freeware" which come
bundled with crap the user doesn't want?
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Otherwise, you're just generating FUD.
IMO, it's not even slightly controversial. You yourself haven't even
argued that the Windows "freeware" world isn't riddled with bundled
crapware; your only argument has been that it doesn't bother you and
that not *all* freeware comes bundled with crap (though I made no such
claim).
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-27 09:28:40 UTC
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
That you would try to scare people away from freeware like you are
doing makes me think that you have a not-so-hidden agenda to
discredit it.
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how
slimy it has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to
read Mark's paragraph above.
Q, are you for real? You know perfectly well how long I've been
involved in this newsgroup and with freeware in general.
Yes, so I know how aware you are of the state of "free" Windows
slimeware. You used to complain about it yourself, but AFAICT you now
find even mentioning it objectionable and "scary".
Whenever I see an instance of bundled software, I try to remember to
point it out like most regulars in this group.
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
If you're going to make such remarks, back them up with examples.
Are you really asking me for examples of Windows "freeware" which come
bundled with crap the user doesn't want?
Did I stutter?
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Otherwise, you're just generating FUD.
IMO, it's not even slightly controversial. You yourself haven't even
argued that the Windows "freeware" world isn't riddled with bundled
crapware; your only argument has been that it doesn't bother you and
that not *all* freeware comes bundled with crap (though I made no such
claim).
I agree that there's bundled crapware out there, just not that it's as
big an issue as you think when you say that "Windows 'freeware' has
evolved from a symbiote to a parasite which devours slowly the host."

Perhaps I don't notice it as much because I always make it a point to,
whenever possible, download a program from its homepage instead of from
a freeware website. And not even all of those are corrupt.

I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself. But freeware in
general isn't parasitic.

»Q«
2015-07-27 22:30:12 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 02:28:40 -0700
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
If you're going to make such remarks, back them up with examples.
Are you really asking me for examples of Windows "freeware" which
come bundled with crap the user doesn't want?
Did I stutter?
No, but you said something silly, so I thought it might be rhetorical.
Since you're already aware of examples, why ask me if it wasn't
rhetorical?
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself.
It's not Mark's frustration, it's the frustration of a typical Windows
user who installs software from the web.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
But freeware in general isn't parasitic.
Not in general, but the *Windows* freeware world is very slimy. People
who don't approach it with caution (as you do, avoiding DL sites and
looking for checkboxes) get slimed.
Mark Warner
2015-07-27 22:14:18 UTC
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself.
It's not Mark's frustration, it's the frustration of a typical Windows
user who installs software from the web.
Ayup. Doesn't frustrate me at all. It keeps me in pocket money. I love it.
--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
...lose .inhibitions when replying
Poutnik
2015-07-28 07:07:18 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself.
It's not Mark's frustration, it's the frustration of a typical Windows
user who installs software from the web.
Ayup. Doesn't frustrate me at all. It keeps me in pocket money. I love it.
OTOH, freeware is often not free for its author.

As Windows development tools cost something,
like C++ + assembler compilers
for resource challenging video processing, e.g for Avisynth plugins.

The same the server hosting, especially if there is high traffic,
like regularly updated big data of Vector map navigation apps.

That bundleware, if not otherwise being malware ( some may be )
is legitimate way, how to partially finance
development of free software.

Web ads effectivity is problematic, because of AdBlock and similars.

Donation sometimes works, sometimes not.

I remember long term struggling of Mr. Harris, the author of in its time
famous email client Pegasus mail ( DOS/Netware, later for Windows ).
He wanted to make money from that for living
by donations via selling manuals, and selling Mercury mail servers.
while keeping it free.
Poutnik ( the Czech word for a wanderer )
Diesel
2015-07-28 22:54:08 UTC
Post by Poutnik
I remember long term struggling of Mr. Harris, the author of in
its time famous email client Pegasus mail ( DOS/Netware, later for
Windows ). He wanted to make money from that for living
by donations via selling manuals, and selling Mercury mail
servers. while keeping it free.
I remember Mr Harris. I've used Pegasus for years... He wasn't too
happy with me over something. He did make some changes to the way
Pegasus handled stored outbound email as a result of the exploitability
I demonstrated, umm.. almost sixteen years ago.

The article has a couple of little technical errors concerning the code
I wrote and what language(s) I used to write it, but.. aside from that,
it's accurate.

http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/2CUQFS0S0S.html

No, I don't write stuff like that anymore.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
M.L.
2015-07-28 07:12:02 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself.
It's not Mark's frustration, it's the frustration of a typical Windows
user who installs software from the web.
Ayup. Doesn't frustrate me at all. It keeps me in pocket money. I love it.
But you just called your customers pitiful in another post.
<quote>
the vast majority of "victims" are unsuspecting neophytes being taken
advantage of, more to be pitied than the objects of disdain.
</quote>

In any case, that's quite a condescending attitude towards customers.
Mark Warner
2015-07-28 12:20:45 UTC
Post by M.L.
Post by Mark Warner
Post by »Q«
Post by John Corliss (ES)
I can understand Mark's frustration when dealing with other peoples'
computers, going through that situation often myself.
It's not Mark's frustration, it's the frustration of a typical Windows
user who installs software from the web.
Ayup. Doesn't frustrate me at all. It keeps me in pocket money. I love it.
But you just called your customers pitiful in another post.
<quote>
the vast majority of "victims" are unsuspecting neophytes being taken
advantage of, more to be pitied than the objects of disdain.
</quote>
In any case, that's quite a condescending attitude towards customers.
Interesting non-sequitur. Feel better now?
Mike Easter
2015-07-28 15:43:21 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by M.L.
But you just called your customers pitiful in another post.
<quote>
the vast majority of "victims" are unsuspecting neophytes being taken
advantage of, more to be pitied than the objects of disdain.
</quote>
In any case, that's quite a condescending attitude towards customers.
Interesting non-sequitur. Feel better now?
That condescending word frequently rubs me the wrong way.

If someone knows or understands something which someone else doesn't and
they 'tell'/ explain to/ them (what they don't understand yet), then
that explaining action is supposedly 'condescending'.

I believe the problem is in the 'perception' on the part of the 'explainee'.

Tutor: Here's how that works.
Tutee: Don't be so condescending. You're treating me like a child.
Mike Easter
Mark Warner
2015-07-28 16:00:45 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
If someone knows or understands something which someone else doesn't and
they 'tell'/ explain to/ them (what they don't understand yet), then
that explaining action is supposedly 'condescending'.
I believe the problem is in the 'perception' on the part of the 'explainee'.
Tutor: Here's how that works.
Tutee: Don't be so condescending. You're treating me like a child.
Exactly. My wife pulls that shit on me all the time. Last night, in
fact, as I was explaining how I was going to format her W7 C: "drive"
(and nothing else) for her W7 reinstall, using a live Linux CD. (Like
many so-called Windows "power users", she doesn't grok the
difference/distinction between drives and partitions.)
Mike Easter
2015-07-28 16:06:09 UTC
Post by Mark Warner
Post by Mike Easter
If someone knows or understands something which someone else
doesn't and they 'tell'/ explain to/ them (what they don't
understand yet), then that explaining action is supposedly
'condescending'.
I believe the problem is in the 'perception' on the part of the 'explainee'.
Tutor: Here's how that works.
Tutee: Don't be so condescending. You're treating me like a child.
Exactly. My wife pulls that shit on me all the time. Last night, in
"drive" (and nothing else) for her W7 reinstall, using a live Linux
CD. (Like many so-called Windows "power users", she doesn't grok the
difference/distinction between drives and partitions.)
Errrmmm. I think such as wives are a special case.

After all the initialism is SWMBO, not SWCBI

shewhomustbeobeyed not shewhocanbeinstructed :-) or :-/
Mike Easter
FredW
2015-07-28 16:40:36 UTC
Post by Mike Easter
Post by Mark Warner
Post by Mike Easter
If someone knows or understands something which someone else
doesn't and they 'tell'/ explain to/ them (what they don't
understand yet), then that explaining action is supposedly
'condescending'.
I believe the problem is in the 'perception' on the part of the 'explainee'.
Tutor: Here's how that works.
Tutee: Don't be so condescending. You're treating me like a child.
Exactly. My wife pulls that shit on me all the time. Last night, in
"drive" (and nothing else) for her W7 reinstall, using a live Linux
CD. (Like many so-called Windows "power users", she doesn't grok the
difference/distinction between drives and partitions.)
Errrmmm. I think such as wives are a special case.
After all the initialism is SWMBO, not SWCBI
shewhomustbeobeyed not shewhocanbeinstructed :-) or :-/
On first reading I thought:

SWCBI = she who can be ignored

;-)
Fred W. (NL)
Mark Warner
2015-07-28 17:09:40 UTC
Post by FredW
Post by Mike Easter
Errrmmm. I think such as wives are a special case.
After all the initialism is SWMBO, not SWCBI
shewhomustbeobeyed not shewhocanbeinstructed :-) or :-/
SWCBI = she who can be ignored
;-)
That's my preference.
»Q«
Is pity always condescending or just when victims are pitied?
Mark Warner
2015-07-28 16:04:07 UTC
Post by »Q«
Post by M.L.
But you just called your customers pitiful in another post.
<quote>
the vast majority of "victims" are unsuspecting neophytes being taken
advantage of, more to be pitied than the objects of disdain.
</quote>
In any case, that's quite a condescending attitude towards customers.
Is pity always condescending or just when victims are pitied?
Perhaps English is M.L.'s second language?
Flasherly
2015-07-26 23:59:19 UTC
Post by »Q«
Anyone familiar with the world of Windows "freeware" knows how slimy it
has become. If they're not familiar, then they need to read Mark's
paragraph above.
I did, thank you.

Guess I haven't noticed it so much. Long before crap or foisting
techniques I probably had my own freeware agenda, as I'd gotten
earlier along, from DOS days, in the habit of hierarchal directories.
Which I kept, as much as possible if not for partitions on other than
Microsoft's agenda for destroying them. Or, more likely then to have
expanded to freeware programs exclusive to their own partition(s), for
running virtually upon Microsoft's codework resources, though with
minimalist physical interaction.

When occasions do however arise, when -- like Mark's cleaning of his
Vista, when needed changes do arise -- I may similarly set aside hours
to attain that very end. It's not necessarily pretty, admittedly,
researching forums and reviews, scratching out related downloads off
the snakeskin-lined walls of false advertising for, ultimately, a
testbed situation. At which juncture, there may be six or a dozen
candidates for final assessment.

All I can say is from experience combined with sense, that what is
culled of freeware, that which eventually "works," isn't necessarily
what's handed to me, or expected, for a free meal on Easy St.

It's rather part of the atmosphere for having dined on freeware
cuisine: Mandatory and Compulsorily to be Attended with a subsequent
binary backup.

The newly elected freeware can then be installed and placed on
probationary status for sufficient time, within a comfort level to be
incorporated a last incorporated into the latest of, at least,
successively dated, failsafe and stacked binary images.

Mark's problem, please to excuse him all to hell,
is in allowing malignant freeware programs to continue,
and maul and maim and desecrate his computer,
a grotto receptive to most sacred knowledge,
thus to spread her ravaged legs wide for all to see.

-
“Because your question searches for deep meaning,
I shall explain in simple words.” -- Dante Alighieri, Inferno
Mark Warner
2015-07-27 22:22:16 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Mark's problem, please to excuse him all to hell,
is in allowing malignant freeware programs to continue,
and maul and maim and desecrate his computer,
a grotto receptive to most sacred knowledge,
thus to spread her ravaged legs wide for all to see.
Not *my* problem. I'm a Linux user, for one.

I have a little side business doing computer repair, the majority of
which is malware cleanup. That's where my long and storied experience
with this crap comes from.

I'm of two minds on the subject. One is that I'm appreciative of it,
since it puts money in my pocket. The other is that I'm disgusted, as it
shouldn't be the way it is and the vast majority of "victims" are
Flasherly
2015-07-27 23:53:19 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:22:16 -0400, Mark Warner
Post by Mark Warner
Not *my* problem. I'm a Linux user, for one.
I have a little side business doing computer repair, the majority of
which is malware cleanup. That's where my long and storied experience
with this crap comes from.
I stand corrected, rather I once turned down that very job,
information retrieval from a former NASA employee (even after he'd
dropped a few known celebrity names among his clients).
Post by Mark Warner
I'm of two minds on the subject. One is that I'm appreciative of it,
since it puts money in my pocket. The other is that I'm disgusted, as it
shouldn't be the way it is and the vast majority of "victims" are
unsuspecting neophytes being taken advantage of, more to be pitied than
the objects of disdain.
I'm similarly of two minds about that, whether to pity what too
easily, if not too often, is a disquieting sense for irrelevance. The
fellow I mentioned above, explained a case he was working on, and how
he'd call in results and findings to his work to concerted parties,
such as perhaps anti-virus publishers.

When I did sell computers, I first drew a disclaimer for further
enduser claims upon hardware, I'd researched and assembled, by
promising no more than to exhibit a continued and correctly-functional
computer operating within the same parameters as it was initially
sold.

I did this through binary images. Nor did it necessarily "sink in,"
not for all, until they brought it back and I illustrated what I'd
already taken some effort to explain -- as for how and why I'd wipe
their HD.

(Some information retrieval I might perform, seems at times their
[mis]conception of what is possible of a computer, was perhaps equal
to any dissatisfaction expressed over actual loss of data.)

Conceptually, to literally encompass computers, is probably past any
overrated, earlier glitz stage(s) -- some gamers might remain, but for
many, they've moved along to more conducive platforms. Facebook or an
Android. Hardcore computer usages, I think, people have fewer excuses
to be other than generally aware of how quickly water rises to their
chins for technological swimming lessons. They know when it's time to
return to BestBuddy BuyRite Computer Rentals, or a trip to BestBuy is
in order for their "broken" computer.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2015-07-22 16:37:54 UTC
Post by Yrrah
"Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after
identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In
addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on
Use older versions (on or before 3.3.x)!

And if you insist to install the latest and greatest, read the
installation dialogues carefully!
--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
al
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
Flasherly
2015-07-24 15:14:14 UTC
Post by al
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Use older versions (on or before 3.3.x)!
And if you insist to install the latest and greatest, read the
installation dialogues carefully!
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
Mine, whether older or newer, was drying up and refused to upon
connections. Whether self-motivated, or for whatever particular
reason that simply eclipses me. Beyond operating from behind a
firewall and through an IP address filtering device, I'd begun to
wonder whether I was "blacklisted."

I heard or read, of course, uTorrent's formal fall from grace,
attracting a circle from the press corps, by engaging programmers to
bundle active spying modules into its codeworks. Nevertheless, I did
try and field most easily accessible offerings out there among the
more popular and widely used torrents.

Really. Tixati immediately struck a concordant impression of elegance
for effectively near to a standalone operational configuration (a
simple provision, it holds, for writing a backup configuration easily
addresses that - ingress to a token dependency upon the OS,
otherwise).

They, staff, personally strike me for something akin to chilly.
Tixati's public relations, perhaps prefer some anonymity with absolute
control of program directions. ...Beyond free for usage, it's
actually not much more (than inclusive policy riders possible among
freeware).

Sort of like that woman you might wonder why you hadn't yet
challenged, or at least met sooner.
Shadow
2015-07-24 17:33:17 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Post by al
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Use older versions (on or before 3.3.x)!
And if you insist to install the latest and greatest, read the
installation dialogues carefully!
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
Mine, whether older or newer, was drying up and refused to upon
connections. Whether self-motivated, or for whatever particular
reason that simply eclipses me. Beyond operating from behind a
firewall and through an IP address filtering device, I'd begun to
wonder whether I was "blacklisted."
You probably forgot to set up port-forwarding in your router.
[]'s
Flasherly
2015-07-24 18:21:03 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by Flasherly
Mine, whether older or newer, was drying up and refused to upon
connections. Whether self-motivated, or for whatever particular
reason that simply eclipses me. Beyond operating from behind a
firewall and through an IP address filtering device, I'd begun to
wonder whether I was "blacklisted."
You probably forgot to set up port-forwarding in your router.
[]'s
Not really. Rather, there's wasn't a compelling reason to mess with
the router.

The client I was referring to, half-asleep and deprived of caffeine,
when I wrote the post, first off, was Azureus (sister program to Avuze
I'd used prior).

Both, oddly, began manifesting the same symptomatic condition --
refusing to poll the regular torrent-base pathways for existing and
operational relays conveying TOR-based material.

Of course, not truly indicative of a formal backtest, to pronounce
that after having switched to a fully-operational, compliant Tixati.

I'm after an end, after all, and haven't the time nor inclination, as
would most, to screw with what Azureus was up to, especially not when
Tixati so easily fit my personal bill.

Back to the filtering, Tixati works perfectly with Canada, England,
the United States, and Germany being blacklisted. Such filters being
no less about "horseshoes and hand-grenades," and no doubt no less
difficult to faithfully assess, than a VPN.

Along with a TOR engine for an early-FireFox, I will take what I can
get, however, for what its worth as far as that goes. I'm not
particularly fond of metadata collection activities and related new
directions for HTML5.

I just finished automating, through the banking clearing houses, all
my billing cycle payments. All that's left for me is to close down
all online access. Other than a paperwork trail to follow, the banks
and their HTML programmers' online storefront, they can go fuck
themselves. I've been challenged one too many times, denied access,
for not jumping on the bandwagons for keeping up with these browsers'
day revision updates. (Went to NewEgg, last week, and couldn't even
access PayPal, via NewEgg's HTML scripting, to buy a product. Had to,
instead, pull credit card numbers. Sorry state of affairs when once
stellar business models are turning down their livelihood from
customers with money-in-hand.)
Nil
2015-07-24 18:58:43 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Not really. Rather, there's wasn't a compelling reason to mess
with the router.
A bittorent client is actually a server. You therefore must "mess" with
the router to forward the inbound traffic at that port onto the
specific machine in your network. That is, unless you have UPnP enabled
in the router and your client knows how to play that game, in which
case the router will automatically know to forward that port when
requested. If the ports aren't manually or automatically forwarded, you
will have limited or no connectivity with other torrenters. That's true
of uTorrent, Azureus, Vuze, Tixati, and every other such program I've
used.
Flasherly
2015-07-25 01:12:59 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 14:58:43 -0400, Nil
Post by Nil
That is, unless you have UPnP enabled
in the router and your client knows how to play that game, in which
case the router will automatically know to forward that port when
requested. If the ports aren't manually or automatically forwarded, you
will have limited or no connectivity with other torrenters. That's true
of uTorrent, Azureus, Vuze, Tixati, and every other such program I've
used.
The drying-up part, I mentioned... (Both, oddly, began manifesting the
same symptomatic condition -- refusing to poll the regular
torrent-base pathways for existing and operational relays conveying
torrent-based material.)

...Nevertheless, just occurred, both with Azureus/Vuze. Strangely,
after years of running them without incident. Irregardless, of
configurations. I additionally had them both backed up, both for the
OS, and their installments. Apart from *nothing* that changed,
(including UPnP), you might say I could as well have reinstalled
Azureus, fresh, for obtaining the same ruinous results.

There was no need to touch the modem. Never was.

When Azureus had a torrent link initiated, downloaded, (it might get
that far), to begin its polling other, active clients -- they simply
weren't there anymore. (A few listless connections, sure, that much
might show up. No throughput bandwidth to speak of. Count them on
under the fingers for one hand.) I could even come out from behind
the firewall and blacklist filtering. Clients were still being
ignored.

Bad news for a bad state of affairs.

Enter Tixati. Installed Tixati. Problem resolved. No modem diddling
or dicking-around. Never was a need. Not among foci. Firewall and
filtering restored to perfect functionality. All the torrents clients
worldwide, (except countries I exclude), are within connectivity.

No games. I'm back ahead. Other than what Azureus used to play
sufficiently well, Taxiti clearly now outclasses. It's obviously
nothing less than a miracle of redemption. :)
Nil
2015-07-25 01:30:13 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Enter Tixati. Installed Tixati. Problem resolved. No modem
diddling or dicking-around. Never was a need.
Then UPnP must have been in action.
Post by Flasherly
No games. I'm back ahead. Other than what Azureus used to play
sufficiently well, Taxiti clearly now outclasses. It's obviously
nothing less than a miracle of redemption. :)
Azureus/Vuze is really a frontend to a Java program, so if Java was
uninstalled or blocked by your firewall, that would make it stop
working. It also has a myriad of complicated setup options and it takes
some finagling to get it to work at its best. It has a lot of features
that are very useful for some, but it's overkill for me.
Flasherly
2015-07-25 13:04:11 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 21:30:13 -0400, Nil
Post by Nil
Azureus/Vuze is really a frontend to a Java program, so if Java was
uninstalled or blocked by your firewall, that would make it stop
working. It also has a myriad of complicated setup options and it takes
some finagling to get it to work at its best. It has a lot of features
that are very useful for some, but it's overkill for me.
I'm in something of a different framework.

Think of my computer as a hardwired OS, which, effectively, it is.

I'm running the same initial install since day one (probably going on
10 years).

As that OS install changed, over the years with program installs,
additions and various modifications, the "pivotal plan" has always
been one of operating from binary image backups.

IOW - every week, or so, the OS goes back to a "digitally clean"
condition. The OS HDD partition is consequently overwritten from a
binary image. A matter of principle and certainly a regular
occurrence.

Getting a little away from that -- programs. Most of mine are not
integral to the Microsoft OS environment. That means they go on a
different partition, a partition that is not the OS. Not being
integral, they can by in large be said to operate with impunity, apart
from the OS.

At worst, I locate any program-setting's folder, on the OS partition,
to copy that folder within and to the program partition. A
perfunctory backup, as it were. Anything further -- programs which
install further resources into the OS, their own resources in a
complex sense -- and I'm out'ta there. I begin to look for
alternatives, or take a very hard look at how badly I need a program
that's OS-resource intensive.

Anyway, my programs' partition is backed up on a flashdrive (for
SyncBack), as there aren't any changes there that are not easily
identifiable and explicable. (Unlike a complex OS.)

Azureus, thus, just sat there in that condition I've just described,
on a "program partition," where nothing ever essentially changes. For
years it worked just fine. Until one day, a couple months ago, that's
when Azureus began failing to interconnect apart from normally
functioning, apart worldwide torrent interexchanges. It's not that it
would not conclusively connect, but that any connections present were
severely curtailed for data bandwidth, inclusive of few node entities
present, rendering it at best useless.

Installing Tixati and all that changed. Night and day. Thruputs,
robust identification and participation of nodes, for generally
hitting reliable balls-to-the-wall performance.

Absolutely nothing can change for other than Tixati to have entered
this environment.

(I'm fairly strict about keeping a lock-down state regimentation over
the OS with binary backups. If in need to get back to square one,
something isn't right, I don't need anything in my way. Not that
software ever does;- migrating software across hardware platforms is
where more serious difficulties at times seem prone to arise.)
al
2015-07-24 19:38:24 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Post by al
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
[...]
To respectfully borrow a line from John Corliss ... "More obscure,
unintelligible Flasherly spew.?
Flasherly
2015-07-25 01:01:32 UTC
Post by al
To respectfully borrow a line from John Corliss ... "More obscure,
unintelligible Flasherly spew.?
You've one life to be happy, and if that's what you need to borrow, I
suppose, then you may as well line it from under whatever rock you
crawled out that suits you.

I like Phineas Taylor Barnum's...'Every crowd has its silver lining.'
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-25 08:10:57 UTC
Post by Flasherly
Post by al
To respectfully borrow a line from John Corliss ... "More obscure,
unintelligible Flasherly spew.?
You've one life to be happy, and if that's what you need to borrow, I
suppose, then you may as well line it from under whatever rock you
crawled out that suits you.
I like Phineas Taylor Barnum's...'Every crowd has its silver lining.'
And that would be me. 80)>

It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly. Things like
where you live, where you're from originally, your education, what you
do for a living, your age, whether or not you have a family and so on.
Maybe then I could understand why you communicate the way you do.
However, I realize that I'll probably never know those things so you'll
remain an enigma.

spacesst
2015-07-25 11:53:55 UTC
Re: Re: uTorrent malicious or potentially dangerous?
By: John Corliss (ES) to Flasherly on Sat Jul 25 2015 01:10:57
uTorrent malicious or potentially dangerous?�
only of you use version after 221+

... eBay The world�s online marketplace
Diesel
2015-07-25 18:18:19 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly. Things
like where you live, where you're from originally, your education,
what you do for a living, your age, whether or not you have a
family and so on. Maybe then I could understand why you
communicate the way you do. However, I realize that I'll probably
never know those things so you'll remain an enigma.
Personal information like that shouldn't be disclosed to strangers on
usenet. It's easy enough to cyberstalk people without those individuals
making it easier.
Character is what you are. Reputation is what people think you are.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-25 20:47:13 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly. Things
like where you live, where you're from originally, your education,
what you do for a living, your age, whether or not you have a
family and so on. Maybe then I could understand why you
communicate the way you do. However, I realize that I'll probably
never know those things so you'll remain an enigma.
Personal information like that shouldn't be disclosed to strangers on
usenet. It's easy enough to cyberstalk people without those individuals
making it easier.
*sigh* As I said, "However, I realize that I'll probably never know
those things so you'll remain an enigma."

You're only stating the obvious.

2015-07-25 20:57:15 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly. Things
like where you live, where you're from originally, your education,
what you do for a living, your age, whether or not you have a
family and so on. Maybe then I could understand why you
communicate the way you do. However, I realize that I'll probably
never know those things so you'll remain an enigma.
Personal information like that shouldn't be disclosed to strangers on
usenet. It's easy enough to cyberstalk people without those individuals
making it easier.
*sigh* As I said, "However, I realize that I'll probably never know
those things so you'll remain an enigma."
You're only stating the obvious.
John, where the fuck is Tennessee? Would you like me to nip over to TN in
my lunch hour and sort him out?

Flasherly
2015-07-26 02:39:08 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:57:15 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly. Things
like where you live, where you're from originally, your education,
what you do for a living, your age, whether or not you have a
family and so on. Maybe then I could understand why you
communicate the way you do. However, I realize that I'll probably
never know those things so you'll remain an enigma.
Personal information like that shouldn't be disclosed to strangers on
usenet. It's easy enough to cyberstalk people without those individuals
making it easier.
*sigh* As I said, "However, I realize that I'll probably never know
those things so you'll remain an enigma."
You're only stating the obvious.
John, where the fuck is Tennessee? Would you like me to nip over to TN in
my lunch hour and sort him out?
Allow me to dispense with any initial imposition of tedious
formalities. I might live everywhere, being more or less conditioned
by a degree of social and cultural adaptability, actually in having
lived for extensive periods in Europe, the Far and Middle East. I
once challenged a Board of Education, a panel interview for a
position, largely based on a criteria for literature (within such
accepted standards for a doctorial);- and though accepted, after a
recent precursor to further studying Camille Paglia's Sexual Personae
(_Art & Decadence_, or a 'historical perspective in brief,' i.e,
700pp.), I can see vast areas of lacking negligence, within historical
literature, I'd rather attempt to address;- of course, being
independently wealthy, with time and inclination to engage such
matters for at least consideration of some consequent fruition.
Camille deals in sorts of a disquieting art, you see, for art stemming
from indeterminate womanhood, repressed libidinal stem-urgings mankind
has entertained since the Egyptian dynasties. An ascribed linear form
for man then to assume, past the womb of womanhood, thus to develop in
order to presume to endow form, aspiring to a conceived reality ceded
classical beauty. We are all conceived from the womb. Beyond which,
family exists for fabric to augment a cultural perception individuals,
nonetheless, variously must account for prime motivators they see to
factor for influences upon a course of life thrust upon them to
peruse.

-
"They have not forgotten the Mysteries," Morgaine said. "They want a
God who will not demand. Perhaps it is the only way the unenlightened
can bear to think of their Gods."

Lancelot smiled bitterly. "That is the lure which this new breed of
priests has promised them."

Morgaine bowed her head in anguish. "The Goddess was real while
mankind still paid homage to her. Now they will make for themselves
the kind of God they think they want–the kind of God they deserve,
perhaps.'

- MZ Bradley, The Mists of Avalon
p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
2015-07-26 04:47:21 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
[...]
There is only one absolute truth in the universe.
Everyone loves The Bangles.

All else is flux. Smile at those who tell you otherwise.
-Thus spake the OVERCAT

Flasherly
2015-07-26 12:30:32 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 00:47:21 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
There is only one absolute truth in the universe.
Everyone loves The Bangles.
http://youtu.be/ABhOKkwrOLk
All else is flux. Smile at those who tell you otherwise.
Perhaps people are too reticent not to mistake a seriousness in fewer
smiles when conceivably entertaining any notion for how might such
convictions develop.

-
“You must be like me; you must suffer in rhythm.”
-- Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea
Shadow
2015-07-26 13:38:27 UTC
Post by Flasherly
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 00:47:21 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
There is only one absolute truth in the universe.
Everyone loves The Bangles.
http://youtu.be/ABhOKkwrOLk
All else is flux. Smile at those who tell you otherwise.
Perhaps people are too reticent not to mistake a seriousness in fewer
smiles when conceivably entertaining any notion for how might such
convictions develop.
OMG, thats a lot of negatives and relative/obfuscated
negatives. I never was very good at maths ....
;)
[]'s

Listening to "Supertramp - Hide in Your Shell.mp3"
2015-07-26 14:47:31 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by Flasherly
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 00:47:21 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
There is only one absolute truth in the universe.
Everyone loves The Bangles.
http://youtu.be/ABhOKkwrOLk
All else is flux. Smile at those who tell you otherwise.
Perhaps people are too reticent not to mistake a seriousness in fewer
smiles when conceivably entertaining any notion for how might such
convictions develop.
OMG, thats a lot of negatives and relative/obfuscated
negatives. I never was very good at maths ....
;)
I think he's trying to discover the route cause of ailurophobia. A secret
weapon that has been passed down to pussies since time began.

Jangly guitar.

Shadow
2015-07-27 01:19:32 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:47:31 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by Shadow
Post by Flasherly
Perhaps people are too reticent not to mistake a seriousness in fewer
smiles when conceivably entertaining any notion for how might such
convictions develop.
OMG, thats a lot of negatives and relative/obfuscated
negatives. I never was very good at maths ....
;)
I think he's trying to discover the route cause of ailurophobia. A secret
weapon that has been passed down to pussies since time began.
I was honestly going to study it, but I got waylaid by a video
with a girl with amazing eyes, who claims to cure any phobia. And then
I forgot all about our friend.
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice of the Sheeple
Jangly guitar.
http://youtu.be/hscr4VvsoiY
Well, I'm cured of my milkmanophobia ....

Shadow
2015-07-27 02:17:41 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:23:39 -0400, "p-0''0-h the cat (UK) - The voice
Post by Shadow
Well, I'm cured of my milkmanophobia ....
This will fix that
http://youtu.be/8e1xvyTdBZI
;)

I love happy endings.
[]'s
Diesel
2015-07-26 00:57:31 UTC
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
It would be interesting to know more about you, Flasherly.
Things like where you live, where you're from originally, your
education, what you do for a living, your age, whether or not
you have a family and so on. Maybe then I could understand why
you communicate the way you do. However, I realize that I'll
probably never know those things so you'll remain an enigma.
Personal information like that shouldn't be disclosed to
strangers on usenet. It's easy enough to cyberstalk people
without those individuals making it easier.
*sigh* As I said, "However, I realize that I'll probably never
know those things so you'll remain an enigma."
I wasn't trying to be a wiseass with you.
Post by John Corliss (ES)
You're only stating the obvious.
Sometimes, sadly, that's necessary.
Error: Signature is lost until found.
John Corliss (ES)
2015-07-26 07:59:32 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by John Corliss (ES)
Post by John Corliss (ES)
You're only stating the obvious.
Sometimes, sadly, that's necessary.
However, it wasn't in this case. As I implied, I'd already covered that
such information as I would like to have about Flasherly wouldn't (and
shouldn't) be forthcoming.

Mr. Man-wai Chang
2015-07-24 16:09:48 UTC
Post by al
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
New one for my memory. Country of origin?
--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora release 22) Linux 4.0.8-300.fc22.i686+PAE
^ ^ 00:03:01 up 3 days 4:47 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
Shadow
2015-07-24 17:44:44 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 00:09:48 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by al
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
New one for my memory. Country of origin?
Canada.
But it calls itself "lightweight" at 50Mb vs 0.3Mb for
utorrent 204 (comparing portable versions).
That's a lot of code to debug looking for backdoors.
[]'s
Yrrah
2015-07-24 18:08:51 UTC
Post by Shadow
Post by al
Or simply use something else, like Tixati. http://www.tixati.com/
But it calls itself "lightweight" at 50Mb vs 0.3Mb for
utorrent 204 (comparing portable versions).
"Bloat" due to GTK+ for Windows files perhaps?

Yrrah
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2015-07-25 03:10:36 UTC
Post by Yrrah
"Bloat" due to GTK+ for Windows files perhaps?
That makes it cross-platform? :)
--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora release 22) Linux 4.0.8-300.fc22.i686+PAE
^ ^ 11:09:01 up 3 days 15:53 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
Nil
2015-07-24 19:25:05 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Use older versions (on or before 3.3.x)!
And if you insist to install the latest and greatest, read the
installation dialogues carefully!
This has been my general attitude, too. I've been continuing to update
uTorrent to the most current versions, mostly to try to figure out
where it's going and why. I'd be content with a much earlier version,
but I'm curious. The installer is loaded with foistware, but I can deal
with it. My major problem with it now is that you have no longer have a
choice where to install it. It always puts itself in
\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent, even if you have previously
installed it in \Program Files. It's obviously designed to bypass
Window's security measures. This new behavior seems to have started a
couple of versions ago. This may be the dealbreaker for me and where I
get off the train.
Shadow
2015-07-24 20:03:01 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:25:05 -0400, Nil
Post by Nil
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Use older versions (on or before 3.3.x)!
And if you insist to install the latest and greatest, read the
installation dialogues carefully!
This has been my general attitude, too. I've been continuing to update
uTorrent to the most current versions, mostly to try to figure out
where it's going and why. I'd be content with a much earlier version,
but I'm curious. The installer is loaded with foistware, but I can deal
with it. My major problem with it now is that you have no longer have a
choice where to install it. It always puts itself in
\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent, even if you have previously
installed it in \Program Files. It's obviously designed to bypass
Window's security measures. This new behavior seems to have started a
couple of versions ago. This may be the dealbreaker for me and where I
get off the train.
In the good old days if you put an empty file called
"settings.dat" in the program folder, it would write all the settings
there, and be effectively "portable". All the "evidence" of you
downloading Linux ISOs would be purged if you deleted the folder (at
least to the eyes of the average cop).
Have you checked if that still works ?
[]'s
Nil
2015-07-24 22:15:12 UTC
Post by Shadow
In the good old days if you put an empty file called
"settings.dat" in the program folder, it would write all the
settings there, and be effectively "portable". All the "evidence"
of you downloading Linux ISOs would be purged if you deleted the
folder (at least to the eyes of the average cop).
Have you checked if that still works ?
No, but maybe I will. I hesitate because all my current settings are in
my profile folder, where they ant to lose those settings. I might fool
around with it a bit, but I resent that I have to jump through those
kind of hoops just to be able to install the program where I want. I
don't usually bother with portable installations for anything, but
maybe that's the solution in this case.
Mike Easter
2015-07-24 20:28:51 UTC
Post by Yrrah
We asked BitTorrent Inc. for a comment on the recent reports but the
company has yet to respond.
I prefer (portable) qBittorrent over UTorrent (anyway).
Mike Easter
s|b
2015-07-24 20:40:36 UTC
Post by Yrrah
"Several anti-virus vendors have begun blocking uTorrent after
identifying the software as malicious or potentially dangerous. In
addition,
I'm using µTorrent 2.0.4.22450. So far, no problems.
s|b
Derald
2015-07-25 12:52:30 UTC
In addition, Google Chrome is currently blocking several pages on
uTorrent's official website
I can't get past the fact that some committee of geeks presumes to
decide the issue for its users. One more reason to stick with FF v17 or
lower (FF v12 still works splendidly for those who can live without
Flash v11+). But of course, they're taking advantage of hysteria and
misinformation to shoot a load of Google up paranoid assholes who,
frankly, deserve it (imo) for not bothering to learn a little something
about the game. What a world.
Derald
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2015-07-25 13:37:05 UTC
Post by Derald
I can't get past the fact that some committee of geeks presumes to
decide the issue for its users. One more reason to stick with FF v17 or
lower (FF v12 still works splendidly for those who can live without
Flash v11+). But of course, they're taking advantage of hysteria and
The move to HTML 5 is fishy as well.

How could you download a video if it's sent as HTML 5? There will be no
single Flash video file.

Or am I misunderstanding?
--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora release 22) Linux 4.0.8-300.fc22.i686+PAE
^ ^ 21:30:01 up 3 days 21:22 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
Diesel
2015-07-25 18:18:19 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Derald
I can't get past the fact that some committee of geeks
presumes to
decide the issue for its users. One more reason to stick with FF
v17 or lower (FF v12 still works splendidly for those who can
live without Flash v11+). But of course, they're taking
advantage of hysteria and
The move to HTML 5 is fishy as well.
How could you download a video if it's sent as HTML 5? There will
be no single Flash video file.
Or am I misunderstanding?
http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html5_video.asp

Looks to me like you can still download the video just as you did
previously. The html5 video code is telling the browser what the
video's name and location is along with aspect ratio. It can also be
used to setup playback controls, etc. The site details it nicely and
provides various examples. The video isn't encoded as html or
anything, it's still what it was.. It's just that now, it can be an
open standard all the time.

Nothing preventing you from using a downloading tool to do the same.
The browser will open/play the video for you without the need for
Adobe. I think the browser should ask if I'd like to play it with the
browser or use my own video player setup for the file...it's not
asking on the demos on that site. It's playing it in the browser,
smooth as silk on this ancient p3/800mhz dual cpu machine.

I really like html5 video incorporation. I really do.

Since ADOBE started requiring sse2 systems for video rendering, this
machine and others a little newer can't play back adobe flash real
time and smooth fullscreen. Athlon1800+, Semperons, etc. Any chip
without SSE2 loses out. HTML5 though, these old machines ROCK with
it. They have no issues playing the supported formats. [g] Adobe
sucks!
Character is what you are. Reputation is what people think you are.
Shadow
2015-07-25 22:01:02 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 21:37:05 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
Post by Derald
I can't get past the fact that some committee of geeks presumes to
decide the issue for its users. One more reason to stick with FF v17 or
lower (FF v12 still works splendidly for those who can live without
Flash v11+). But of course, they're taking advantage of hysteria and
The move to HTML 5 is fishy as well.
How could you download a video if it's sent as HTML 5? There will be no
single Flash video file.
http://en.savefrom.net/
http://deturl.com/
http://www.telechargerunevideo.com/en/

In that order. Work fine with FF 17x, except the last option,
which sometimes corrupts the file.
;)
[]'s
Vitalic
2015-07-26 18:54:56 UTC
Post by Yrrah
[...]
try qbitorrent, bundle-free, colorful (easy to identify things on the
program as opposed to everything green on utorrent)

http://www.qbittorrent.org/
Mike Easter
2015-07-26 19:12:23 UTC
Post by Vitalic