JP Loken:Linux freeware.
Jacqueline Bonner
2011-01-15 18:46:56 UTC
I always think about Ian "Gizmo" Richards and also Wilders Security
for a very decent discussion with a moderator. No flames! This is
from Gizmo's site and it extends for several pages of comments. I'll
get back to you with forums for Linux freeware.

Best Free Software for Linux
Updated 15. January 2011 - 4:13 by Jojoyee

Introduction

LinuxLinux, occasionally referred to as GNU/Linux, is an open source
and free operating system predominantly known for its use in servers,
but has increasingly become commonplace in desktop, notebook and
netbook computers in recent years after newer and enhanced versions of
Linux distributions, Ubuntu or Linux Mint for example, are developed
and offered free to users.

While you can get the Linux system and use it for free, you can also
run on the system a wide range of free applications such as well-known
and commonly-used software including Firefox web browser and the
OpenOffice application suite.

Among various free applications, here you might find the best free
software for Linux, including those products reviewed and recommended
by our editors in the various sections.

Other programs that work as potential alternatives to Windows
applications or even perform better than them are also listed here for
the benefits of users who migrate from Windows to Linux or run dual
systems on their computers.
Best Free Software for Linux - Quick Select Index

After clicking a link, use your browser's Back icon to return here.

Items added or updated most recently: Remastersys | Phun | LBreakout2
| Urban Terror | AbiWord | Transmission | BilliardGL | Fontmatrix |
Scribus | TeamViewer
Disk & File Tools: Drive Imaging | File Manager | Folder Sync |
Archiver | Partition | Secure Erase | Encryption | CD Recovery |
Online Backup | File Copy
Desktop & System: Screen Capture | Program Launcher | Desktop Search
| Screen Session Recorder | Font Manager | Wallpaper Changer | Color
Picker | Windows API | Cleanup and Tuning | System Backup | Other
System Tools
Multimedia: Media Player | Music Player and Organizer | Media Center
| Format Conversion | MP3 Tag Editor | Burner | Emulator | CD Ripper |
DVD Ripper | Audio Editor | Video Editor | Music Creator
Image Tools: Image Viewer | Image Editor | High Dynamic Range | Photo
Organizer | Vector Graphics Editor
Home & Office: Office Suite | Word Processor | PDF Writer | PDF
Reader | PDF Tools | Personal Finance | Personal Information
Management | Notes Organizer | Desktop Publishing | E-Book Reader
Internet Tools: Web Browser | Email Client | Download Manager |
BitTorrent Client | FTP Client | Instant Messaging | Remote Access
Programming: HTML Editor | Programming Editor | NFO Viewer
Security/Privacy: Internet Safety Check | Anonymous Surfing Service |
Antivirus | Firewall
Games: Sandbox | Computer Chess | 250 Online Games | Match-3 Puzzle |
Jigsaw | Computer Go | Hearts | Sudoku | First-Person Shooter |
Breakout Game | Reversi | Billiards and Pool

Best Free Disk & File Tools for Linux
Best Free Drive Imaging Program

*

Clonezilla

Saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk and
increases the close efficiency. The version of Clonezilla Live is
suitable for single machine backup and restore. (Review)

*

G4U ("Ghosting for Unix")

"Not only can it clone disk to disk (any size) and copy disk
partitions, it can also create and restore image files both locally
and from an FTP site, if the workstation is connected to a wired
network with a DCHP service." (Review)

Best Free File Manager

*

Dolphin

A file manager for KDE (by default) and good for other desktop
environments such as GNOME as well, focusing on usability with
navigation bar, view properties, split of views, dockable panels and
many other useful features.

Best Free Folder Synchronization Utility

*

FreeFileSyncFreeFileSync

"A solid application with very clear and informative interface.
The preview is very easy to understand, file collisions and deletions
are readily recognizable.

If you require a sync program that can copy files that are in
use or locked, it has you covered there too!" (Review)

Best Free File Achiver / Zip Utilities

*

PeaZip

"Easy to use and very versatile, capable of creating 7Z, ARC,
BZ2, GZ, PAQ/ZPAQ, PEA, QUAD/BALZ, TAR, UPX, ZIP files and extracting
from 98 archive types." (Review)

*

File Roller and Ark

Both archive managers designed respectively for GNOME and KDE
desktop environments to create archives, view or extract files from
archives, work as front-ends to command-line archivers supporting
various file formats.

Best Free Partition Manager

*

GParted

"A GNOME partition editor for resizing (enlarging or shrinking),
creating or deleting, moving or copying partitions on a hard disk,
creating a partition table, enabling or disabling partition flags such
as boot and hidden." (Review)

*

Parted Magic

"Employs core programs of GParted and GNU Parted to handle
partitioning tasks and can be run from a live CD, DVD or USB flash
drive." (Review)

*

TestDisk

"A console application designed for data recovery. It can be
used to fix partition table, recover deleted partitions or copy files
from deleted partitions." (Review)

Best Free Secure Erase Utility

*

Darik's Boot and Nuke

"Constructs a floppy disk or CD that will automatically wipe the
hard drives of any PC that's booted from the disk, great for bulk disk
cleaning and emergency." (Review)

Best Free File Encryption Utility

*

TrueCryptTrueCrypt

"TrueCrypt is a powerful, flexible and highly-effective
encryption program to encrypt files, folders or entire drives. Use
this seasoned, widely-used encryption program when you want an
encrypted container that mounts as a virtual drive.

It's one of those freeware programs that is far superior to
commercial software and its open source status allows the all-
important peer review of the source code required for a trustworthy
encryption program." (Review)

Best Free CD Recovery Utility

*

Dvdisaster

"A preventive program to create an error correction file from a
good CD or DVD for data recovery." (Review)

Best Free Online Backup Sites

*

Dropbox

"Provides 2 GB free space for backing up and sharing your files,
works similar to any other folder of your computer—after installation,
simply drag and drop files/folders to Dropbox you want to backup,
share or sync with other computer." (Review)

Best Free File Copy Utility

*

Unstoppable Copier

"Excellent for copying information from scratched CD's, DVD's
and corrupted files from the hard drives." (Review)

Best Free Desktop & System Tools for Linux
Best Free Screen Capture

*

ShutterShutter

"Shutter is like a swiss army knife for all screen capture tasks
in Linux. It works better than Gnome-screenshot and KDE's KSnapshot.

You can use this program to capture desktop, window, child
window and rectangular area, with many plugins for resize and special
effects, delay capture, activate/deactivate window border and cursor,
inbuilt drawing tools, linked to external editor and auto
save." (Review)

Best Free Program Launcher

*

Launchy

"a top product in the keyword search class, easy to understand,
use, configure and extend. It has a really small memory
footprint." (Review)

Best Free Desktop Search Utility

*

Google Desktop Search

"Google sidebar and gadgets. Just type a few letters or words
into the search box and your top results pop up instantly. Indexes and
searches multiple email programs." (Review)

Best Free Screen Session Recorder

*

Wink

"Ease of use, great flexibility and powerful annotation
features, allows audio to be embedded in the presentation,
etc." (Review)

*

recordMyDesktop

An easy-to-use and effective recorder to make screen recordings
into free Ogg video format. It also offers the ability to record audio
through ALSA mixer or other options. The frontend program gtk-
recordMyDesktop and the ALSA mixer can be downloaded from some
depositories including Ubuntu Software Center.

Best Free Font Manager

*

FontmatrixFontmatrix

"It is the largest and most complex application and runs on a
wider range of platforms with more high-end features. Some of these
features are not available in any of other programs.

You can activate fonts in tagged groups, view many sample texts
in many languages, classify fonts using PANOSE, view and compare
glyphs, find a font from a raster, extract fonts from PDF files, and
test layouts in a free-form playground." (Review)

Best Free Wallpaper Changer

*

WallyWally

"A good wallpaper changer allows for wallpaper positions to set
to centered, tiled, center tiled, centered maxpert, tiled maxpert,
scaled, center auto fit or scale and crop.

The program supports features such as time intervals, selecting
images from local folders or online resources, displaying images' EXIF
data in system tray tool-tip, saving downloaded photos and run-time
folder change detection." (Review)

Best Free Color Picker

*

gcolor2

"Quick and easy to pick a color, supports HSV, RGB and HTML
codes with an opacity slider, color grabber, allows for naming and
saving picked colors." (Review)

Best Free Windows API

*

Wine

Wine allows for running Windows applications on Linux and other
operating systems, but without a copy of Windows. It's still under
active development and not every program works yet.

Best Free Cleanup and Tuning

*

BleachBitBleachBit

A system tool allows you to preview and delete unnecessary files
to free up your valuable disk space, maintain privacy, and remove
hidden junk. It deletes cache, cookies, Internet history, logs,
temporary files, broken shortcuts, and wipes clean 70 applications and
more.

*

GtkOrphan

An orphaned libraries remover to analyse the status of your
installations, looks for orphaned libraries and adds package-removal
capability. A GUI front-end to Deborphan for Debian systems.

*

SUM

A Startup Manager to change settings for your preferred default
operating system to boot up, manage Usplash themes, adjust bootloader
menu resolution or set timeout in seconds. See also Change Default
Boot Options.

Best Free System Backup

*

Remastersys

Allows you to make a full system backup including your personal
data to a live CD or DVD that you can use anywhere and install, or
make a distributable copy, excluding your personal user data, of the
system for sharing with your friends. It works for Debian, Ubuntu or
its derivatives.

Other System Tools

*

PySDM

A Storage Device Manager allowing for full customization of hard
disk mountpoints and creation of rules for dynamic configuration of
storage devices. See also Auto Mount Drives at System Startup.

*

CCSM (CompizConfig Settings Manager)

A useful tool to configure the many plugins included in Compiz
and Compiz Fusion for advanced desktop effects settings.

Best Free Multimedia Software for Linux
Best Free Media Player

*

VLC Media PlayerVLC Media Player

"Supports playback of most video files and DVD discs without the
need to download external codec packs, including flv filescan. There
are 5 different DVD region codes and VLC plays them all.

VLC also has the ability to take screenshots of your video, even
while during DVD playback, a real attractive feature." (Review)

*

SMPlayer

"Intends to be a complete front-end for MPlayer, from basic
features like playing videos, DVDs, and VCDs to more advanced features
like support for MPlayer filters, remember the settings of all files
you play and more."

Best Free Music Player and Organizer

*

Banshee

Imports, organizes, plays, and shares music using a simple yet
powerful interface. Other features include rip CDs, create playlists,
burn audio and mp3 CDs, support for podcasting and music
recommendations.

*

Amarok

A powerful music player for multi platforms with an intuitive
interface, supports for collection management, bookmarking, dynamic
playlists, file tracking, integrated web services and more.

Best Free Media Center

*

XBMCXBMC

"It is truly outstanding in this category and earns the Gizmo's
Top Pick title rightfully in my eyes. It played all media files I fed
it with and turned out to be the most reliable product for me.

XBMC offers convincing media library features and is highly
configurable with custom skins and backdrops. You will find a vast
amount of plugins, skins and other goodies for it as the community
around XBMC is large." (Review)

Best Free Audio / Video Format Conversion

*

SoundConverter

Aims to be simple to use and fast for conversion from most audio
files to wav, flac, mp3, aac and ogg files, supports for extraction of
the audio from videos too. (Note: Install GStreamer MP3 Encoding to
enable conversion to mp3.)

*

Arista Transcoder

An easy-to-use converter to convert multimedia files from one
format to another for playback on various devices. Supported output
formats include m4v (Ipod), avi (Nokia, PDA or DVD player), mkv
(computer) and mp4 (various Sony devices), depending on the device you
choose.

*

OggConvert

A small and easy-to-use utility to convert most audio and video
files to the patent-free Ogg format, and support for encoding to the
Matroska container format (mkv, mka), with adjustable settings on
audio and video quality for conversion.

Best Free MP3 Tag Editor

*

Kid3Kid3

"Edit all tags, generate tags from files or vice versa, import
tags from databases, browse cover arts and lyrics from online
resources, drag and drop cover art to a file, export tags, etc." Kid3
uses KDE libraries, while another package Kid3-qt is also available
for installation without KDE dependencies." (Review)

*

MusicBrainz Picard

"Identify track info by matching digital thumbprint with
MusicBrainz database, show up existing tags with add and delete
functions." (Review)

Best Free CD / DVD Burning Software

*

K3b

A capable CD/DVD burner optimised for KDE, lets you easily burn
data CDs/DVDs, create audio/video CDs and video DVDs, rip audio/video
CDs and video DVDs along with other related tasks, good for
experienced as well as beginner users.

*

Brasero

Designed for ease of use to create a traditional audio CD, data
CD/DVD, video DVD or a SVCD, burn an existing CD/DVD image to disc,
copy a CD/DVD to a new disc or write to an image file in ISO and other
formats.

*

ImgBurn

"Most powerful burning application with advanced features,
support for every modern optical disc from CD to Blu-Ray, more than 10
image formats, authoring rewritable discs, etc." Runs on Linux with
Wine (x86 only). (Review)

Best Free CD / DVD Emulation Software

*

Furius ISO Mount

"Select or drag-and-drop an image file to mount, one-click
unmount, supports for burning ISO and IMG files, generate MD5 and SHA1
checksums, saving history and retrieving previously unmounted
images." (Review)

Best Free CD Ripper

*

AsunderAsunder

A simple yet powerful audio CD ripper and encoder to save audio
tracks from an audio CD as any of MP3, AAC, Ogg, WAV, FLAC, Wavpack,
Musepack or Monkey's audio files.

Useful features include using CDDB to name and tag each track,
encoding to multiple formats in one session, simultaneous ripping and
encoding, tagging each track for a different artist and more.

Best Free DVD Ripper

*

HandBrake

"Good quality in transcoded video, small file size, integrates
the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library with enhanced
picture quality, speed optimizations and supports better control over
multiple audio tracks." (Review)

Best Free Audio Editing / Audio Splitter

*

AudacityAudacity

"It does all the recording and editing I need, and is much
simpler and faster to use than a lot of paid products. The interface
is easy to use, allowing you to select and apply a noise profile just
as easily as removing it.

The program also can record live audio, convert tapes and
records into digital recordings, edit various sound files, cut, copy,
splice, and mix sounds together and change the speed or pitch of a
recording." (Review)

*

mp3splt-gtk

"Splits mp3 and ogg files without re-encoding, able to identify
split points between tracks via online database services (CDDB or
FreeDB)." (Review)

Best Free Video Editor

*

AvidemuxAvidemux

"It is designed for multi-purpose video editing and processing
and is my personal favorite because of its simplicity yet wide range
of tools.

The software supports many file types, including AVI, DVD
compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. It lets
you do just about everything under the sun, with well documented
tutorials." (Review)

*

OpenShot Video Editor

An open-source and non-linear video editor which is stable and
friendly to use with support for many video, audio and image formats
based on FFmpeg together with lots of other useful features.

Best Free Music Creator

*

LMMSLMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio)

"As a stand alone application, one would be hard pressed to find
a more comprehensively full featured and versatile free music creator
than this, with so many instruments and effects to choose from.

The onboard Beat/Bassline editor removes the need for a separate
drum sequencer and is a very nice touch: LMMS really is a one stop
shop" (Review).

Best Free Image Viewing & Editing Software for Linux
Best Free Digital Image Viewer

*

XnView

"Fast, lots of features, very manageable, many plug-ins,
supports nearly any OS." (Review)

Best Free Digital Image Editor

*

GIMP

"It has lots of advanced features and can do almost everything
the Photoshop can do." (Review)

Best Free High Dynamic Range (HDR) Software

*

Luminance HDRLuminance HDR

Luminance HDR (previously known as Qtpfsgui) is an open source
graphical user interface program and a high quality application to
provide a workflow for high dynamic range imaging.

It has great tone-mapping and aligning facilities, allowing for
8, 16 and 32 bit channels and two means of manually manipulating the
image.

Best Free Digital Photo Organizer

*

Picasa 3

"Simply sensational editing features that provide you with every
function amateur photographers need." (Review)

*

digiKam

A digital photo management program designed to import, organize,
enhance, search and export image files. With this you can add comments
and tags to albums, view and edit items, create slideshows and
calendars, and share your creations.

Best Free Vector Graphics Editor

*

Inkscape

"A top product enhanced by an excellent user interface and the
impressive set of tutorials, helps wean the user away from the world
of digital images to the nodes, lines, curves and shapes that form the
basis of vector editing." (Review)

Best Free Home & Office Software for Linux
Best Free Office Suite

*

OpenOffice 3OpenOffice 3

"Covers the basics of office document creation: word processing,
spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, a desktop database and allows
you to save your documents in many choices of file formats so you'll
have no problem exchanging documents with MS Office.

All of the modules are easy to learn and if you've ever used any
other office software, it's a doddle. It is also extendable via
extensions" (Review)

Best Free Word Processor

*

AbiWordAbiWord

"Easy to adapt to, especially since the interface is similar to
that found in Word and WordPerfect. Its abilities include cut and
paste, highlight, as well as the usual host of common formatting
tools, annotation and checking spelling in many languages.

Besides being able to save to Word format, its own proprietary
file format is available. A plugin can be installed to open
OpenDocument formats. Sharing documents is possible with the
integration of AbiCollab Web service." (Review)

Best Free PDF Writer

*

CUPS-PDF

Creates a virtual PDF printer to convert a file printed in queue
to PDF and save it in a user directory.

Best Free PDF Reader

*

Okular

More than a viewer for pdf and other document formats including
postscript, djvu, tiff, chm, dvi, xps, odf and so on. It can be used
on both KDE and GNOME desktop environments, with features for
annotations, highlighting, drawing lines and shapes, adding textboxes
and stamps, selecting and saving a part of documents as text or in an
image format.

*

Evince

A document viewer for pdf and other document formats including
postscript, djvu, tiff and dvi, aiming to replace the multiple
document viewers that exist on the GNOME Desktop with a single simple
application.

*

Foxit Reader

Small size, user-customized toolbar, fast launch speed, full
screen capabilities, snapshot, zoom, thumbnails and other features.
(Review)

Best Free PDF Tools

*

PDF-ShufflerPDF-Shuffler

"Re-arranging pages in a pdf document, or merging and splitting
pdf files, would be much easier with PDF Shuffler.

After importing one or more pdf files to PDF Shuffler, you are
presented with pages in thumbnails so that you can easily merge, re-
order or delete the pages, or right-click a thumbnail to rotate or
crop a page before exporting to a new pdf file." (Review)
*

Sun PDF Import Extension

"Allows you to import and modify PDF documents in OpenOffice
from a PDF/ODF hybrid file with 100% layout accuracy." (Review)

Best Free Personal Finance

*

GnuCash

"Double entry accounting, keep tabs of budgets, create various
accounts in each category, full suite of standard and customizable
reports." (Review)

Best Free Personal Information Management

*

Chandler

"Excellent task management, with "triage" (presents tasks and
events in "now", "later" and "done" categories). Imports external SMTP
email accounts, Google calendars and Highrise tasks. Exports calendars
and tasks. Email messages can be edited, added to, and sent directly
from Chandler." (Review)

Best Free Notes Organizer

*

KeepNoteKeepNote

"In each notebook, you can create folders and pages, as well as
sub-folders and sub-pages, and you can re-organize them easily by drag-
and-drop. In each page, rich text formatting including colored fonts,
bullet point lists and hyperlinks are supported.

Not only can you store images, you can also directly insert a
screenshot you take with this application into an opened
note." (Review)
*

Tomboy Notes

"Time for Tomboy Notes if you want to have a useful tool to
relate notes and ideas together, with a wiki-like linking system.
Features of the program include rich-text formatting, printing or
exporting notes to html format, etc." (Review)

Best Free Desktop Publishing Program

*

ScribusScribus

"It's the real thing; a professional quality page layout program
capable of producing press-ready output. The feature list is
impressive; basically everything you want is there including "CMYK
color, separations, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation.

Graphics manipulation is handled via an interface to Gimp.
Scribus can also import from and export to programs in the Open Office
suite. The user interface is highly functional and the documentation
is excellent, with lots of support from the user community." (Review)

Best Free Electronic Book Reader

*

Calibre

"Includes an e-book viewer, library management, format
conversion, news feeds, ebook conversion and sync features. A complete
solution to all your e-book needs." (Review)

Best Free Internet & eMail Software for Linux
Best Free Web Browser

*

Mozilla FirefoxMozilla Firefox

"Firefox is safer and browses a tad faster than Internet
Explorer (for Windows), very stable and more standards compliant, rich
in features such as Private browsing, tabbed browsing and over 2000
free extensions (add-ons) that allow you to customize your experience.
It provides the most flexibility, expandability, and features of any
browser to date." (Review)

*

Google Chrome

"Extremely fast, simple and intuitive interface, Incognito Mode
won't leave traces of browser history, capable of creating Application
Shortcuts to specific pages on the web." (Review)

*

Opera

"In addition to being a top rate web browser, it also has a
great email client, RSS reader, newsgroup reader, and IRC Chat
client." (Review)

Best Free Email Client

*

Mozilla Thunderbird

"Customizable and expandable through add-ons, intuitive user
interface." (Review)

*

Evolution: Provides integrated mail, address book and calendar,
matches most other email programs in features and functionality.

Best Free Download Manager

*

UgetUget

"A cross-platform program designed to be simple, lightweight and
easy to use. It's an open source application written in GTK+. Debian
and RPM packages are readily available for download and installation.

The program supports pause, resume and queue downloads, and
classification of download files, monitors clipboard and integrates
with Firefox browser via FlashGot plugin." (Review)

Best Free BitTorrent Client

*

Vuze (formerly Azureus)

"Cross platform, informative interface, wide variety of plugins,
excellent support and the Vuze platform of legal content that
downloads at high speeds." (Review)

*

Tixati

"Performs excellently, easy on system resources, has an
appealing and useful interface and has no ads or toolbar on
install." (Review)

*

Transmission

An easy-to-use yet powerful BitTorrent client with an intuitive
interface and low memory footprint. The default settings just work but
you can take a few clicks to configure advanced features such as watch
directories, limit download and upload speed, bad peer blocklists, the
web interface and more.

Best Free File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Client

*

FireFTP

"A cross-platform FTP client for Mozilla Firefox, easy to use,
small, fast, feature packed, frequent updates and new
features." (Review)

*

FileZilla

"If you use a browser other than Firefox or require advanced
functionality not found in FireFTP, then this is one of great
standalone applications, easy to use, feature rich, includes site
manager functions." (Review)

Best Free Instant Messaging Client

*

Pidgin

"Supports AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC,
Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr IM networks, available for multiple
platforms, simple user interface, functional and lack of
popups." (Review)

Best Free Remote Access Software

*

TeamViewerTeamViewer

"An excellent remote control product that allows you to connect
to any PC over the internet and drive it as if you were sitting in
front of it.

The software is said to have been downloaded more than 60
million times so far, and is widely praised by a number of users of
Gizmo's Freeware. Another handy feature is that your grandma won't
need admin privileges to run the client application, so making the
connection to her PC is going to be pretty easy." (Review)

Best Programming Software & Tools for Linux
Best Free HTML Editor

*

KompoZer

"Full-featured WYSIWYG editor, integrated file management,
tabbed editing, supports for forms, tables and templates." (Review)

*

Aptana Studio

"Full featured HTML text editor based on the well-known, open-
source Eclipse IDE and many plugins." (Review)

Best Free Programming Editor

*

BluefishBluefish

"A lightweight yet powerful editor designed for experienced
programmers and web designers, and works as a general purpose editor
as well with the IDE.

Its user interface is complete with toolbars, dialogs and user-
customized menus to facilitate insertion of markups and codes. Options
are available for writing websites, scripts and programming codes in
many programming and markup languages, with many other useful
features." (Review)

*

Kate

"Advanced and easy-to-use editor supporting scriptable syntax
highlighting, indentation and code folding for many source files,
loads fast and runs stably." (Review)

Best Free NFO Viewer

*

NFO Viewer

A simple viewer for NFO files with preset font, encoding
settings, automatic window size and clickable hyperlinks.

Best Free Security and Privacy Software for Linux
Best Free Internet Safety Check

*

WOT

"Fastest ratings, uses green/yellow/red ratings and 'people'
reliability icons, multiple rating categories to help you evaluate
websites, fantastic warning screen to empower users to avoid
potentially bad websites before interacting with them." (Review)

Best Free Anonymous Surfing Service

*

JonDo

"(previously known as JAP) is my top choice and is a Java
application that performs the role of a local (PC based) proxy server
that redirects browser requests via the JonDo network. This allows the
user to configure their choice of any browser rather than requiring a
change to Opera." (Review)

Best Free Antivirus

*

Clam AntiVirus

"You may not need it. Some Linux users like to scan files prior
to sending them to users of other operating systems, though." (Review)

Best Free Firewall

*

Firestarter

A complete firewall tool for Linux, allows for users to create a
firewall with a wizard, open and close ports with a few clicks,
completes with a real-time hit monitor.

Best Free Games for Linux
Best Free Sandbox Game

*

PhunPhun

"A great 2D Sandbox Game with Fun Physics and many options to
create things. You can invent anything you can think of: machines,
towers, cars, abstract fantasy stuff, etc. Start from scratch or
choose from a few previously made inventions.

Get inspired by all the Youtube videos and take a glimpse at the
well made Tutorial Section of the Site (how to create cars, catapults
etc)." (Review)

Best Free Computer Chess

*

PyChessPyChess

"With this program, you can play against the GNU Chess engine or
lots of other chess engines, such as the Crafty engine. You can also
play Internet chess by connecting to the FICS servers.

It allows for saving games in the PGN, EPD and FEN chess file
formats so that you can always return to continue with the games or
analyze them. It also offers opening books and other useful features
including undo moves, hint and spy modes, sound and animation
effects." (Review)

*

HOXChess

"a well designed open source Chinese Chess application with
highly configurable user interface and multi engines for you to choose
from. You can also easily connect to multi remote Xiangqi servers to
play the game online." (Review)

250 Best Free Online PC Games In One Place

*

Friv

"Be greeted with a full-screen of tiny screen shots for more
than 250 free online PC games, all kinds of popular games and they are
of various genres." (Review)

*

Netpotion Gamez

"A good alternative game site with minimum advertisements,
features 36 tiny screen shots in each page from a library of more than
800 free online games. A click on each tiny screen shot brings you to
the game selected." (Review)

Best Free Match-3 Puzzle

*

Frozen BubbleFrozen Bubble

"Designed with colorful 3D rendered penguin animations and 15
stereo sound effects, Frozen Bubble comes with editable 100 levels for
1-player game, or hours and hours of 2-player game. You can also
choose to have multi-player game over the local area network or
Internet.

Play this game with the left or right key to aim your shot and
up key to fire. Hone your skills in speed and accuracy before the
bubbles get frozen!" (Review)

Best Free Jigsaw Puzzle

*

Picpuz

"Create and solve puzzles, save and open puzzle files, set tile
sizes, solving a puzzle by swapping pieces or with a helpful
solver." (Review)

Best Free Computer Go

*

PANDA-glGo

"2D and 3D boards, adjustable board size and engine strength,
play online or offline, etc." (Review)

Best Free Hearts Game

*

Gnome Hearts

"Various rule sets including Spot Hearts, Omnibus Hearts with
configurable play rules, backgrounds and card styles." (Review)

Best Free Sudoku Puzzle, Generator and Solver

*

HoDoKuHoDoKu

An open source program allows you to generate sudoku puzzles in
five different and configurable difficulty levels. It also includes a
solver and an analyzer to help you solve the puzzles.

While playing the game, you can select to view a summary of
solving techniques and solution paths. When you click on a solution
path, it highlights the steps on the corresponding grid to help you
analyze the game. (Review)

Best Free First-Person Shooter

*

Urban TerrorUrban Terror

"Described as fun over realism by the creators, the game has
fast paced, intense game-play. Urban Terror doesn't throw realism to
the wind mind you, but rather tries to enhance game-play with elements
like powerslides and wallhops.

Five different game types, over a thousand servers, plenty of
players to go around and no waiting for people to show up." (Review)

Best Free Breakout Game

*

LBreakout2LBreakout2

"An extremely polished Breakout Clone features a two-player mode
(local or over the internet or LAN), fine animations and graphics,
excellent controls, the ability to save a game, a level editor, and a
turbo key.

This game gets regular Level Set updates. The fun continues well
beyond when you have mastered the 50+ levels." (Review)

Best Free Reversi

*

KReversi

"7-level of difficulty, clean and helpful interface, show legal
moves and last move, undo moves, hints, animation, etc." (Review)

Best Free Billiards and Pool Game

*

BillardGLBillardGL

"A brilliantly crafted open-sourced freeware game that affords
play of either 8-Ball or 9-Ball. The 3D graphics are second-to-none
and the physics appear to be flawless.

The user interface is simple and the controls straightforward.
As you assess your next shot, you can view the table layout from any
perspective you want, roaming and zooming and peering." (Review)

Related Links

* Tips and Tricks for Ubuntu after Installation
* Tips and Tricks for Linux Mint after Installation
* Best Free Online Applications and Services
* The Editors' Choice List: Our Selection of the Best PC Freeware
* Best Free Windows 7 / Vista 64 bit Software
* Best Free Portable Applications

Tags

Linux software, Linux applications, free Linux software, best free
Linux software, software for Linux, freeware for Linux, Linux
freeware, best freeware for Linux, applications for Linux, free
applications for Linux, free Linux applications, best free Linux
applications, multi-platform, cross platform, cross platform software,
multi platform software.

Back to the top of the article.

Share this
Average:
4.615385
Average: 4.6 (39 votes)
Your rating:
Cancel rating
Poor
Okay
Good
Great
Awesome
Your rating: None

* Article type:
o Review,
o Cleanup & Tuning,
o Software list,
o Desktop & GUI,
o Disk & File Utilities,
o Home & Office,
o Educational,
o Games and Diversions,
o Image View and Edit,
o PC Freeware,
o User contributed lists,
o Internet, Email & Messaging,
o Linux Freeware,
o Multimedia (CD, DVD, Video, Audio),
o Networking & File Transfer,
o Programming & Engineering,
o Security,
o System and Performance Info,
o System Utilities

* Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Comments
by wdhpr on 10. January 2011 - 3:31 (#64194)

When using ImgBurn with Ubuntu I can create the ISO but I'm unable to
access my cd/dvd drive. Anyone have this problem?

* reply

by joinfree (not verified) on 16. October 2010 - 15:14 (#59635)

Good stuff. Is there a generic scanner driver for ubuntu/linux Os? I
have flat bed scanner but unable to connect because there is no valid
driver support.

* reply

by Jojoyee on 19. December 2010 - 15:45 (#62932)

If you've not got a solution, please check if this guide is helpful to
you.

* reply

by Martin Baselier (not verified) on 7. October 2010 - 14:12 (#59148)

An excellent list, there were even some applications I did not know
of. A few additions:

Ex Falso:
Easily rename/move your mp3's based on the tags. I usually first
change the tags with picard, and then place them in my music
directory, on /artist/year_album/track-tracname. It's an incredibly
flexible program which can even omit tags in the name if they're
missing, suppose the year of the album is missing, you could just tell
it to use only the album title.

Transmission:
A small, yet fully featured torrent client. Small system load and it
can do anything you'd want: add more trackers, limit upload/download
speed (on demand and scheduled), select the files you want to
download, change priority of individual files/folders, block specific
IP addresses (by using a remotely maintained block list), use
encrypted transfers, etc.

Geekbox also might be worth a try:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/geexbox-lightweight-media-system
It's supposed to be a very light weighted multimedia system, not as
fully featured as XBMC, but it can be easily used from a live usb
stick.

* reply

by Jojoyee on 19. December 2010 - 14:49 (#62930)

Thanks for your good suggestion Martin. Transmission is now included
in the list.

Ex Falso has not been added in the list as Kid3 seems to be much
better in terms of tags support including lyrics and album art as well
as other editing features.

Sorry I'm replying to your post later than expected as I've just got a
chance to take a look at GeeXboX, which is not an application but an
OS that can boot as a LiveCD. I'll need to check out more on this
software.

* reply

by syntax_error on 30. September 2010 - 0:01 (#58675)

Which parts of this page have just been updated?

* reply

by Jojoyee on 30. September 2010 - 4:43 (#58692)

That's a good question Syntax_error. Links to the recently udpated
items are now provided at the top of the Category Index table.

* reply

by Fred Mertz (not verified) on 29. September 2010 - 2:44 (#58614)

Chandler... ????
You're recommending software that can't even be installed on the last
two full digit versions of Ubuntu. How exactly is it we're supposed to
take your suggestions seriously?

* reply

by Jojoyee on 29. September 2010 - 12:38 (#58639)

It's a pity that the Debian package at the developer's site has not
been updated to keep up with the latest version of Ubuntu. That said,
some at Ubuntu Forums have reported to get it to work on Ubuntu 10.04.
See http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9509051

* reply

by Anupam on 29. September 2010 - 4:05 (#58617)

Then don't!!

If there is a mistake, point it out, or you have got suggestions, give
them. But do so in the right way. The way you are doing this, is not
correct. Next time, such comments will be deleted.

* reply

by MidnightCowboy on 29. September 2010 - 7:38 (#58628)

Oh what a joy it must be to be "smart". The local Linux club here has
a lot of folks still with 8.04 who have no intentions of changing.
Guess they'll be happy at least.

* reply

by humpty (not verified) on 7. September 2010 - 2:50 (#57376)

I tried ClamTK and it's full of bugs. I'm using Avast Free for Linux.
Just follow these instructions http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/07/antivirus-software-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/
to get around a bug in the updates.

* reply

by p.rajmax (not verified) on 18. August 2010 - 15:38 (#56311)

if possible can you suggest me a mobile tracking application for
linux ..it's the 4th time i lost my cell phone and unable to
trece...... i m presently in india......if possible help me .......

* reply

by Anonymous on 24. June 2010 - 18:51 (#53025)

Nice article, CD/DVD burning tool, you mentioned imgburn (windows
based)and brasero. do you know there is a tool called K3B performs
even better than Nero, By the way thanks for the useful info to new
comers to Linux.

* reply

by Jojoyee on 25. June 2010 - 13:27 (#53106)

Thanks for your kind comments. K3b is a good application and will be
included in the next update soon.

* reply

by Anonymous on 19. June 2010 - 12:43 (#52457)

Firestarter is no longer maintained or recommended by those in the
know.

Use either ufw, or if you need a GUI, GUFW.

* reply

by rik on 19. June 2010 - 14:35 (#52464)

Well, those in the know, know, that all of these are just front ends
to the low level IPTABLES. So, if makes no difference what you use.

Rik, Category Editor Best Free Windows 7 / Vista 64 bit Software and
Site Technical Support (that means CentOS, etc)

* reply

by mistywindow on 19. June 2010 - 1:30 (#52441)

I recently investigated all the free Linux HTML editors. I ended up
with Quanta Plus. It's outstanding, with PHP support and a preview
function.

Not to be confused with its ancestor, Quanta Gold, which is cross-
platform but obsolete and commercial.

:)

* reply

by wuxia1911 on 19. May 2010 - 4:10 (#49921)

Vuze is not a good bittorrent client. It eats up a lot of ram, is
bloated with unecessary features, and is now blocked on many private
trackers such as what.cd and waffles.fm. Transmission and rtorrent are
better clients for linux. Plus vuze has annoying ads.

* reply

by HeWhoRocks on 12. May 2010 - 15:06 (#49655)

Hi jojoyee.
My top pick on B/F Music Creation (LMMS) is an excellent Linux/cross
platform app that could go on your list:)
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-music-software.htm

* reply

by Jojoyee on 12. May 2010 - 15:39 (#49657)

Thanks for the heads up. LMMS is on the list now :)

* reply

by Anonymous on 8. April 2010 - 18:12 (#47251)

Multifunctional program
ubuntu tweak
Cleaning, simple adding ppa sources for various programs, configuring
gnome for ubuntu

* reply

by Anonymous on 8. April 2010 - 21:53 (#47264)

ubuntu-tweak.com

* reply

by Anupam on 1. March 2010 - 17:22 (#44804)

A video editor for Linux : www.openshotvideo.com

* reply

by Anonymous on 24. February 2010 - 0:36 (#44313)

I prefer a directory music player, no play-list-mania.

In Windows 1by1 is perfect, a very convenient GUI (and I found
the .dll's to play all audio formats).

The Linux clone for this is MOC.
It "text-based" so looks ugly (and you have to read the usage manual
to know the hot-keys), however it plays all audio formats out of the
box.
And starting to use it after installing is not very logical. You won't
find an icon nor a menu item. You have to start it from the
commandline with the command MOCP.
However when it runs, and you have selected a particular directory
with audio-files, it plays as convenient as 1by1.

* reply

by Anonymous on 21. April 2010 - 15:23 (#48138)

use vlc player
it has got the option "open directory" under file menu

* reply

by Anonymous on 8. February 2010 - 22:45 (#43130)

Check out the games Hedgewars, and Teeworlds. Both are pretty fun.
They are in the ubuntu software repo.

* reply

by Anonymous on 26. February 2010 - 8:57 (#44525)

Ive tried Teeworlds, it says "Input Not Supported" and the computer
hangs. Bad experience for me.

* reply

by Anonymous on 26. February 2010 - 8:59 (#44526)

Forgot to mention I was running it on Ubuntu Karmic Koala. So now I
have to remove the game.

* reply

by Anonymous on 2. February 2010 - 22:07 (#42644)

So what's the best Linux AV? Here's the Wikipedia page on Linux
malware http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware. So now that we
know that Linux does need AV after all (hackers are targeting it now
thanks to its growing popularity),
I found these 3 that are free and not only find but also REMOVE
whatever malware they find:

*ClamTk http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/index.html
*Avira for Linux http://www.free-av.de/en/download/download_servers.php
*QtFprot http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=10381

Are any of these better than others?

* reply

* 1
* 2
* next ›
* last »
Bear Bottoms
2011-01-15 20:26:38 UTC
Post by Jacqueline Bonner
[...]
Bull shit.
--
Bear Bottoms
Owner of freeware website: http://bearware.info
Defeat forgers: http://bearware.info/Misc/defeatforgers.exe
Bear Bottoms
2011-01-15 21:10:54 UTC
Bear Bottoms FORGER
Registered Windows User since 1985
Defeat forgers: http://bearware.info/Misc/defeatforgers.exe
"Oops! This link appears to be broken." lol

Of course it is...you are the FORGER. Too funny. I really am getting a kick
out of your failure. That's evil...I know. :)
Defeat Forgers: Loading Image...
Bear Bottoms
2011-01-16 01:55:17 UTC
Bullshit.
Post by Bear Bottoms
--
Bear Bottoms
Did I hear you ask for a new ass hole ream-job, sweetie? So you can
Bend over sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bear Bottoms
JP Loken
2011-01-15 23:39:30 UTC
P=C3=A5 Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:46:56 +0100, skrev Jacqueline Bonner =
Post by Jacqueline Bonner
I always think about Ian "Gizmo" Richards and also Wilders Security
for a very decent discussion with a moderator. No flames! This is
from Gizmo's site and it extends for several pages of comments. I'll
get back to you with forums for Linux freeware.
Thanks you. I'll look into it.
<snip>

-- =

JP Loken
Sent with Opera's e-mail program: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Why Tea
2011-01-15 23:56:30 UTC
På Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:46:56 +0100, skrev Jacqueline Bonner
Post by Jacqueline Bonner
I always think about Ian "Gizmo" Richards and also Wilders Security
for a very decent discussion with a moderator. No flames! This is
from Gizmo's site and it extends for several pages of comments. I'll
get back to you with forums for Linux freeware.
Thanks you. I'll look into it.
<snip>
--
JP Loken
Sent with Opera's e-mail program: http://www.opera.com/mail/
That looks like a good list. I'm surprised midnight
commander didn't get a mention. It's especially handy
when you do remote work via ssh without X connection.
Jacqueline Bonner
2011-01-16 01:43:55 UTC
Post by Why Tea
That looks like a good list. I'm surprised midnight
commander didn't get a mention. It's especially handy
when you do remote work via ssh without X connection.
Why Tea,i just used my instincts,which are based on reading into the
Internet for decades. I actually wasn't all that thrilled with my
results either.I left out a link to Wilders Security,which has a Linux
Forum. Why don't you submit your best Linux forum links? Maybe
someone had some good ones stashed? Here's Wilders Security:

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released - Wilders Security Forums
7 posts - 4 authors - Last post: Feb 19, 2009
Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 released all things UNIX. ... Debian GNU/Linux is
a free operating system which supports a total of twelve processor ...
www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233400 - Cached
Which linux distro caters to all user groups?‎ - Aug 20, 2009
is anyone interested in learning some new linux things? - Wilders ...‎
- Mar 23, 2009
Linux Recovery Enviroments‎ - Jan 27, 2009

More results from wilderssecurity.com »
Jacqueline Bonner
2011-01-16 01:47:35 UTC
<<www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=233400>>