Micro$oft is considering porting Edge to Linux
Yrrah
2019-09-30 12:42:40 UTC
x-posted: alt.comp.freeware,alt.os.linux

"Microsoft is trying to find one more home for its revamped Edge
browser. Its Technical Program Manager for web, Sean Larson, has put
out a new survey on Twitter asking feedback from developers who depend
on Linux for development, testing, and other stuff.
The survey asks developers what distro they prefer for development,
and whether they prefer browsers for automated testing, web
development or personal browsing. It also asks what things they
require in a Linux web browser to meet their development needs.(...)
Some Reddit users are arguing that MS Edge is just another skin for
Chromium and bringing it to Linux will only add another browser to the
crowd. A few others are saying it would be more helpful MSFT open
sources binaries of Chromium Edge (...)"
Article:
<https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-to-bring-edge-browser-to-linux-wants-feedback/>
A discussion:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/d9wix5/ms_is_considering_porting_edge_to_linux_and_asks/>

Who's interested in yet another Chromium (= Gugle) derivative?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Browsers_based_on_Chromium>

The "best" of both worlds: Gugle and Micro$oft ;-)
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...

Yrrah
occam
2019-09-30 13:02:02 UTC
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
Ahem... that expression has now been superseded by:

"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Yrrah
2019-09-30 13:19:06 UTC
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
LOL.

Yrrah
Ned Latham
2019-10-01 02:06:18 UTC
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
John Corliss
2019-10-01 07:22:36 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
I see the logic, but in America that's the bastardization we use.
--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
doesn't believe in two-way firewalls.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 08:39:16 UTC
Post by John Corliss
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
I see the logic, but in America that's the bastardization we use.
I think you mean bastardisation...

To be fair I think the frogs own the term.

I can live with meter but "color" that irks me. It lives in HTML and has
spread by Osmosis. When we have BREXSHITTED Gloriana will rewrite the
Internet in her own image! No nursey! I will have my say!

Then there's “honor”, “traveling”, “favorite”.

They just look like spelling mistooks.

No, no, it's too early for me to return to the home. Gerroff!

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
--
p-0.0-h the cat

punk ass dole whore troll, no nothing innumerate religious maniac,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

occam
2019-10-01 09:32:09 UTC
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
Post by John Corliss
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
I see the logic, but in America that's the bastardization we use.
I think you mean bastardisation...
To be fair I think the frogs own the term.
I can live with meter but "color" that irks me. It lives in HTML and has
spread by Osmosis. When we have BREXSHITTED Gloriana will rewrite the
Internet in her own image! No nursey! I will have my say!
Then there's “honor”, “traveling”, “favorite”.
They just look like spelling mistooks.
Worry not, pooh. Clench your paws, we'll get thru it all. Post Brexit,
Trump's spellin' will be obligatory in the UK. Covfefes all around.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 10:24:49 UTC
Post by occam
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
Post by John Corliss
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
I see the logic, but in America that's the bastardization we use.
I think you mean bastardisation...
To be fair I think the frogs own the term.
I can live with meter but "color" that irks me. It lives in HTML and has
spread by Osmosis. When we have BREXSHITTED Gloriana will rewrite the
Internet in her own image! No nursey! I will have my say!
Then there's “honor”, “traveling”, “favorite”.
They just look like spelling mistooks.
Worry not, pooh. Clench your paws, we'll get thru it all. Post Brexit,
Trump's spellin' will be obligatory in the UK. Covfefes all around.
Oh! joyous conflagration. The mighty and colorful Phoenix will once
again stir our loins as it arises to embrace its favorite cousin. The
off4forsure accounts of our betters will swell and the trickle down of
honey from the gutted lion's belly will be there for all to share.

Fook, I just checked. Tate and Lyle got sold to the Yanks. Arise
pussies!

John Corliss
2019-10-02 06:58:16 UTC
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
Post by John Corliss
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
That's "metre", occam: a "meter" is a measuring device.
I see the logic, but in America that's the bastardization we use.
I think you mean bastardisation...
To be fair I think the frogs own the term.
I can live with meter but "color" that irks me. It lives in HTML and has
spread by Osmosis. When we have BREXSHITTED Gloriana will rewrite the
Internet in her own image! No nursey! I will have my say!
Then there's “honor”, “traveling”, “favorite”.
They just look like spelling mistooks.
No, no, it's too early for me to return to the home. Gerroff!
I have a British in-law who once tried to tell me:

"It's not 'gasoline', it's PETROL."

and:

"You Yanks with your bloody Liverpudlian accent. It's not 'erbs', it's
'HERBS'. Look at the word. How's it spelled?"

In answer, I told him that he's living in America now and to fucking get
used to it. However, I did take his advice on the word "herbs".

He now drinks cold "bloody lawga", watches both NFL and college football
avidly, has gotten used to driving in the right hand lane. Can't get him
to stop drinking Scotch though.

He has an identical twin brother. When that one comes over to visit,
it's fun to see how much my in-law's accent has been Americanized.

Resistance is futile.
William Unruh
2019-10-02 18:17:53 UTC
Shadow
2019-10-02 19:20:22 UTC
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 18:17:53 -0000 (UTC), William Unruh
My son has a Canadian father and a British mother. Especially when he
was young his accent would shift to a British one when talking to her,
and a Canadian when talking to me.
I can't speak English to a Brazilian, or Portuguese to an
Englishman.

For example, if I say "Hour" to a Brazilian it comes out as
"How-er". I pronounce the "H".
Speaking Portuguese to an Englishman I sound like an fscking
Eyetie (is that derogatory? If so, sorry).
I'm convinced I have two brains. One is paranoid. That's the
good one. Unfortunately neither would be much use for teaching
languages..
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
John Corliss
2019-10-03 05:32:18 UTC
Post by John Corliss
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
Post by John Corliss
Post by Ned Latham
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
[...]
So resistance was futile!
See below.
Post by John Corliss
He now drinks cold "bloody lawga", watches both NFL and college football
avidly, has gotten used to driving in the right hand lane. Can't get him
to stop drinking Scotch though.
He has an identical twin brother. When that one comes over to visit,
it's fun to see how much my in-law's accent has been Americanized.
Except when he is talking to his brother lhis accent will shift to be
far more British.
My son has a Canadian father and a British mother. Especially when he
was young his accent would shift to a British one when talking to her,
and a Canadian when talking to me.
Post by John Corliss
Resistance is futile.
Resistance? Maybe politeness, and civility, since you apparently were
extremely married to maintaining the habits of your youth.
And tell me, just exactly, who isn't if they don't change locations?

I lived on the East Coast in Connecticut when I was in the service.
After about two years or so, I picked up their accent to the point where
one time I told somebody in a bar that I am from the West Coast, was
born and raised there. The other person expressed surprise, told me that
he would never have guessed that because I didn't sound like somebody
from there.

You adapt to your environment, it's a human thing. The environment
doesn't adapt to *you*.
Since it was so important to you, he felt he might as well humor you.
Nonsense. My in-law slowly (over a period I might add of over 45 years)
simply adapted to his environment.

I was born in the United States, population 329,745,560. OTOH, GB has a
population of 66,986,342. The United States has a version of the
"English" language which is mildly divergent from its origins and as
time goes by, the divergence is most likely to increase.

It's the height of arrogance to believe it's appropriate to come to my
country and tell me how to talk. Put the shoe on the other foot. How
appropriate would it be if I went to GB and started telling people to
talk and spell with the way United States citizens do?

Oh, I forgot. I'm talking to a Canuck.
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-01 12:35:38 UTC
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?

Please explain for those that don't have English as first language and
do not live in an English speaking country ;-)

I found this:
<https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2014/08/10/he-wont-touch-issue-with-3048-meter-pole/>
Cheers, Carlos.
Shadow
2019-10-01 13:20:00 UTC
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 14:35:38 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?
Please explain for those that don't have English as first language and
do not live in an English speaking country ;-)
<https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2014/08/10/he-wont-touch-issue-with-3048-meter-pole/>
//The world has left the U.S. behind in the use of the metric system
but I don't think we really care. We'll convert as soon as we feel
like it. This is probably a touchy subject for some people.//

Specially those that can't do math.

9.85 kilometers is 9850 meters which is 98500 decimeters which
is 985000 centimeters.

9.85 miles is X yards which is X feet which is X inches.
No, I can't be bothered. Not without a calculator.
[]'s
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 13:51:15 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?
Please explain for those that don't have English as first language and
do not live in an English speaking country ;-)
<https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2014/08/10/he-wont-touch-issue-with-3048-meter-pole/>
//The world has left the U.S. behind in the use of the metric system
but I don't think we really care. We'll convert as soon as we feel
like it. This is probably a touchy subject for some people.//
Specially those that can't do math.
9.85 kilometers is 9850 meters which is 98500 decimeters which
is 985000 centimeters.
9.85 miles is X yards which is X feet which is X inches.
No, I can't be bothered. Not without a calculator.
Once we have BREXSHITTED and our Empire restored you will once again be
given the choice to experience the warmth and succour provided by Her
Majesty's Brest to those Johnny foreigners who can master the
magnificence nay genius of our Imperial system. The Rod, the Pole, and
the Perch. The Yard, the Furlong and the Hand will usurp the one
dimensional easy ticket that is the frog system and become as second
nature to you after a brief and I hope not to painful visit to our
re-education and learning center at a black site somewhere or tuther
donated by our benevolent partners, the Americans.

John Hasler
2019-10-01 16:04:19 UTC
The world has left the U.S. behind in the use of the metric system but
I don't think we really care. We'll convert as soon as we feel like
it. This is probably a touchy subject for some people.
The metric system has been legal for trade in the USA since the 1860s.
The USA participated in the first Convention of the Metre in the late
19th century where the formal international metric system was created.
Shortly afterward (basically as soon as the technical details were
settled and official standards became available) the metric system
became the basic system of units for the USA with the customary units
being redefined as derived units.

The medical and pharmaceutical industries in the USA use only metric
units. Look around and you will see that almost every package of goods
sold in the USA that is labeled with units has both metric and customary
given. Every auto mechanic is familiar with metric units.

We *are* gradually converting. What the critics who constantly piss and
moan about how backward we are for using customary units and demand that
something be done really want is a law banning the use of the customary
system. Not going to happen. In the mean time computers are making the
whole issue less and less important.
--
John Hasler
***@newsguy.com
Elmwood, WI USA
Yrrah
2019-10-01 17:33:13 UTC
Post by John Hasler
The medical and pharmaceutical industries in the USA use only metric
units.
Metric units are used in all sciences afaik.
Post by John Hasler
Look around and you will see that almost every package of goods
sold in the USA that is labeled with units has both metric and customary
given. Every auto mechanic is familiar with metric units.
We *are* gradually converting.
Which is sensible.
Post by John Hasler
What the critics who constantly piss and
moan about how backward we are for using customary units and demand that
something be done really want is a law banning the use of the customary
system. Not going to happen. In the mean time computers are making the
whole issue less and less important.
It's a matter of great importance in reactionary litlle England aka
Brexittain:
"Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg has issued a set of
rules for staff in his office to follow, including a list of banned
words and a requirement to use imperial measurements.(...)"
<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-rules-staff-language-grammar-spelling-a9022981.html>

Yrrah
John Corliss
2019-10-02 07:03:17 UTC
Post by John Hasler
[...]
My motorcycle (a Victory, made in the USA), my car (a Buick, made in the
USA) and many of the appliances in my house use metric fasteners. I have
a complete set of metric sockets in my tool-box. Hell, even my ruler
about two feet away from my left hand as I type this has inches and
centimeters on it. My car's speedometer is in both MPH and KPH.

Slowly but surely, kicking and screaming all the way, America is being
metricized. In fact, I agree with the French proposal for metric time.
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-02 08:58:58 UTC
Post by John Hasler
[...]
On the contrary! Two NASA missions to Mars got lost because of this issue.

<https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-01-mn-17288-story.html>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter>
Cheers, Carlos.
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-02 09:07:24 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Hasler
[...]
I should have said "emphasis added by me".
Cheers, Carlos.
John Corliss
2019-10-03 05:34:12 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Hasler
[...]
Apparently you're not a scientist or you'd realize that anecdotal
evidence isn't proof of anything.
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-03 14:49:33 UTC
Post by John Corliss
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Hasler
[...]
To me that is far from anecdotal. Just a prominent case (and
expensive!), but not the only one.
Cheers, Carlos.
William Unruh
2019-10-03 20:29:47 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Corliss
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Hasler
[...]
I agree, the examples are NOT anecdotal. They are facts, disproving a
general hypothesis, that the difference between using Imperial and
metric units is becoming unimportant. Of could it could then be argued
that 1999 and 1998 were the early bad old days, when the difference was
important but in the past 5 minutes (or 5 years) it has become less important and that is what
he meant. Of course he gave no evidence that it had become less
important. He had a theory that somehow computers made it less
important, but the link is obscure. If a builder gets delivered a piece
of metric plywood (1.2x2.4m) instead of the 4x8 piece of US plywood, no number of
computers would help him.
John Corliss
2019-10-04 09:01:10 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Corliss
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by John Hasler
[...]
And to me, it's a perfect example of anecdotal evidence which is is no
way a reflection upon the citizens of the United States, only upon one
or more of the nation's many governmental agencies.
Aragorn
2019-10-01 13:26:31 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?
The "joke" is that US Americans — and to a far lesser extent also some
British and Canadians — cling onto the Imperial measurements system for
dear life, while the rest of the world — including Australia and New
Zealand, both of which are officially English-speaking countries — have
already long adopted the metric system.

By consequence, the age-old expression "I wouldn't touch it with a
10-foot pole" should technically become "I wouldn't touch it with
a 3.048-meter pole" — 10 feet equals 3.048 meter. ;)

It's ridiculous, of course, because that expression has a cultural
significance, and changing the measurements used in the expression
would completely destroy that significance.

No one would expect the expression in question to be altered for the
sake of converting the Imperial size to metric size. It's like those
typical expressions...

- "Your mileage may vary."; or
- "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes." [*]

[*] At least, then you'll be a mile away. *And* you'll have his shoes.
:p
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-01 13:51:59 UTC
Post by Aragorn
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?
The "joke" is that US Americans — and to a far lesser extent also some
British and Canadians — cling onto the Imperial measurements system for
dear life, while the rest of the world — including Australia and New
Zealand, both of which are officially English-speaking countries — have
already long adopted the metric system.
By consequence, the age-old expression "I wouldn't touch it with a
10-foot pole" should technically become "I wouldn't touch it with
a 3.048-meter pole" — 10 feet equals 3.048 meter. ;)
Ah! :-D
Post by Aragorn
It's ridiculous, of course, because that expression has a cultural
significance, and changing the measurements used in the expression
would completely destroy that significance.
Indeed.

Yes, I cringe when in a movie here they translate what they say to metre
units. Nobody in speech says 3.048 metres. Or 3 metres, if the movie was
made in the USA and the action is in the USA.
Post by Aragorn
No one would expect the expression in question to be altered for the
sake of converting the Imperial size to metric size. It's like those
typical expressions...
- "Your mileage may vary."; or
- "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes." [*]
Right. I say move an inch, and I certainly do not measure things in inches.
Cheers, Carlos.
William Unruh
2019-10-01 14:11:14 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Aragorn
It's ridiculous, of course, because that expression has a cultural
significance, and changing the measurements used in the expression
would completely destroy that significance.
Indeed.
Yes, I cringe when in a movie here they translate what they say to metre
units. Nobody in speech says 3.048 metres. Or 3 metres, if the movie was
made in the USA and the action is in the USA.
Actually saying : 10 metre pole would not alter the meaning of the
phrase, and would, to those in the know, strengthen it, since 10 m is
further than 10ft.
There is no significance to the exact 10ft distance-- it is simply a far
enough distance that the thing touched could not affect you and is a
pole that you could manipulate.
:-D
Yrrah
2019-10-01 16:53:45 UTC
Post by William Unruh
Actually saying : 10 metre pole would not alter the meaning of the
phrase, and would, to those in the know, strengthen it, since 10 m is
further than 10ft.
An alternative expression is "I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole".
10 ft/3 m was about the length of a common type of barge pole.
Ever tried to wield a 10 m pole? ;-)

Yrrah
William Unruh
2019-10-01 19:28:38 UTC
Post by Yrrah
Post by William Unruh
Actually saying : 10 metre pole would not alter the meaning of the
phrase, and would, to those in the know, strengthen it, since 10 m is
further than 10ft.
An alternative expression is "I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole".
10 ft/3 m was about the length of a common type of barge pole.
Ever tried to wield a 10 m pole? ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant_pole

A quant (quant pole) is a pole used to propel a barge (barge pole) or punt through water.
A quant used with a punt is about 4 metres (13 ft) long
Large sailing wherries employed a quant pole at least 8 metres (26 ft) in length

So apparently a 10m pole COULD be wielded.
Yrrah
Flasherly
2019-10-02 00:02:52 UTC
On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 18:53:45 +0200, Yrrah <Yrrah-***@acf.invalid>
wrote:

An alternative expression is "I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole".
10 ft/3 m was about the length of a common type of barge pole.
Ever tried to wield a 10 m pole? ;-)
Yrrah

-
Back in the day, when I tried my fortune with rape, pillage, rubble
and siege engines, and all about in ash and iron we left, piled in
tribute to Gods;. . .so I was given one, to follow Homer's footsteps
into the phalanges of standard hoplite formation: fair to middling at
eight to twelve ranks deep, we were. Mindful, but of course, of
whose's behind, never to drop his Dory's Spearhead into those
deployed:

"First Three Ranks ONLY, men!;-- Anyone caught elsewise will see his
sons and bitches die before I personally blind his bloody eyes!. Those
following: Look to your doru's, bottom -- his "lizard killer" and
counterweight;- Always to be held above and at ready: Weighted-end to
be used to dispatch over any fallen enemy when given to advance
formation;- Point never dropped until in succession for being called
forward to join in the phalanx front-rank placement. Always: the
hoplite's three metre doru stands first seen to his crescent;- When
lowered it's in its honor for you to safeguard;- Shields and light
sword are secondary. . .Damn you!, now form up!"

[To an opposing Roman field array: a) youngsters up front, b) richer
looters and career veterans ensuing, c) with some grizzled, really
nasty and mean old bastards in tow.]

Alas, but then at sixty years, following 42 years eligibility for
mandatory call to arms, whereupon civic rights are succeeded, such
that surviving veterans have seen just about enough to serve out their
bound duty in a judiciary capacity befitting their stature.
Carlos E.R.
2019-10-02 09:02:06 UTC
Post by William Unruh
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Aragorn
It's ridiculous, of course, because that expression has a cultural
significance, and changing the measurements used in the expression
would completely destroy that significance.
Indeed.
Yes, I cringe when in a movie here they translate what they say to metre
units. Nobody in speech says 3.048 metres. Or 3 metres, if the movie was
made in the USA and the action is in the USA.
Actually saying : 10 metre pole would not alter the meaning of the
phrase, and would, to those in the know, strengthen it, since 10 m is
further than 10ft.
A pole that long is impossible to handle by a human: it would be too
heavy, unyieldly, and would break under its own weight, unless made much
thicker and thus even heavier.

Cheers, Carlos.
Flasherly
2019-10-02 11:51:06 UTC
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:02:06 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
Post by Carlos E.R.
A pole that long is impossible to handle by a human: it would be too
heavy, unyieldly, and would break under its own weight, unless made much
thicker and thus even heavier.
Precisely what Darius the Great's Invincibles whispered in his ear to
egg him on at Thermopylae.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-02 21:29:34 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
A pole that long is impossible to handle by a human: it would be too
heavy, unyieldly, and would break under its own weight, unless made much
thicker and thus even heavier.
Precisely what Darius the Great's Invincibles whispered in his ear to
egg him on at Thermopylae.
How did you get a bug into Darius' ear?

Flasherly
2019-10-02 22:56:57 UTC
On Wed, 02 Oct 2019 22:29:34 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
How did you get a bug into Darius' ear?
Darius was cautious, yet as well he experienced setbacks, such as a
storm taking toll upon his naval support. Overall, a combination of
unexpected events, though, weighed the heavier upon that
cautiousness;- inasmuch much to say, analytically, they're events
which needn't have confirm his retreat, given a more insightful, or
resourceful, man

"
Historicism -- [that which] tends to be hermeneutic because it values
cautious, rigorous, and contextualized interpretation of information;
or relativist, because it rejects notions of universal, fundamental
and immutable interpretations
"
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-02 23:28:18 UTC
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
How did you get a bug into Darius' ear?
Darius was cautious, yet as well he experienced setbacks, such as a
storm taking toll upon his naval support. Overall, a combination of
unexpected events, though, weighed the heavier upon that
cautiousness;- inasmuch much to say, analytically, they're events
which needn't have confirm his retreat, given a more insightful, or
resourceful, man
Ah! yes, the Spartans bought time for the rest of Greece to get its act
together. Is that the real story or just Hollywood?

Flasherly
2019-10-03 02:13:53 UTC
On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 00:28:18 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<***@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

Ah! yes, the Spartans bought time for the rest of Greece to get its
act together. Is that the real story or just Hollywood?

-
Athens is playing with democracy at the time, whereupon Darius steps
in coincidently to the first time any one, including the Spartans,
thought to consider collectively, widely across Greece, a selfness
beyond a traditional interest citystates and tribal concerns indulged.

Leaving them, after Darius, a resultant Athenian League, since Athens
was naval based, like Britain -- in need of routes for trading, food,
corn and grain from Egypt and the Black Sea. The league effectively
enabled Athens to imperialise herself on that continued premise,
democratically, as agreeable to a federation of diplomacy -- its means
fees and levies -- withal for Athens in turn to protect. Spartan
government was another matter, along with distrust of growing Athenian
influence, which lead to the Peloponnesian Wars, and again Persia
playing in part according to both advantage present the King's
discretion and renegade satraps (governors) variously assigned nearby
provinces.

The wars were to Athens initial loss, but later as well a second
Athenian reemergence if never quite to former accordance at its former
height;- For Sparta, it was political suicide: her values and ethics,
aristocratic colours, were outmoded and she never recovered within a
leeway for democracy.

Hollywood is of course Judaeo-Christian. Drama put on and put out
well is just as apt to be imported from England. BBC's Rome over two
seasons is extraordinary by comparison to Graves and a 1976 BBC
adaptation of Robert Graves' I, Claudius.
Yrrah
2019-10-02 12:27:04 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by William Unruh
Actually saying : 10 metre pole would not alter the meaning of the
phrase, and would, to those in the know, strengthen it, since 10 m is
further than 10ft.
A pole that long is impossible to handle by a human: it would be too
heavy, unyieldly, and would break under its own weight, unless made much
thicker and thus even heavier.
You haven't seen Mr Unruh ;-)

Yrrah
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 13:54:12 UTC
Post by Aragorn
No one would expect the expression in question to be altered for the
sake of converting the Imperial size to metric size.
Don't be ridiculous man. This is one reason why we are leaving the EU!
God alone knows how we have suffered under this tyranny!

William Unruh
2019-10-01 13:53:28 UTC
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by occam
Post by Yrrah
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...
"I would not touch it with a 3.048 meter barge pole"
Why, what's the joke?
Please explain for those that don't have English as first language and
do not live in an English speaking country ;-)
3.048 m is the same as 10 ft. (2.54 cm/inch, by definition of the inch,
10ft=120 inches 120*2.54= 304.8cm=3.048m which is however vastly
overspecific, since a 10ft pole is not exactly 10ft long-- rather it is
probably somewhere between 9'6" and 10'6" long. So it should be 3 m
pole (one sig fig as first year engineers are taught)
Flasherly
2019-09-30 14:10:19 UTC
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 14:42:40 +0200, Yrrah <Yrrah-***@acf.invalid>
wrote:

The "best" of both worlds: Gugle and Micro$oft ;-)
I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...

-

And on the Eighth Day, God rested, and beheld it.

Our world was made with 10 feet of Wood of Barge. Whereupon everyone
reported back in discontent, clamoring for an update, such that God
sent amidst them presiding tyrants to beat them simply senseless;-
Whereupon, sufficiently anesthetized, the lot were packed up for
reallocation or colonization purposes. All over this great land, from
here to China, everywhere became exclusive to except being in someone
else's backyard. Then God released the Big Dot One and a permanent
flood occurred. Instead of forty days and nights of rain, this one ran
over a course of few millennium until the earth was just about full
enough of itself for a liberal topping of cultural relativism.

The I's of thy have henceforth been abnegated by God

Everywhere is filled up and rejected Microsoft's sovereign right to
set up False Benefactor, the idolatrous prophet Bill Gates, and his
followers seeking exclusive amnesty. How else can it other than thus,
that we are not be running an OS from India, now recording 135F
temperatures in the shade? As with such cases -- utter annihilation,
flattening these pressing issues into the ground, a marker left over
obsidian in reminder of a mass grave -- is ruled out. Arbitrators
customarily are sent to strike at their heads until bloodied, to
signal their readiness to sue for intervention on peaceful terms,
accordingly, for such a time as scabs do serve over old and open
wounds.

It's a bitch of a job, God only knows these supplicants do, just the
not worst or first bitch ever known: Farming, scratching meager
sustenance out of land looking to bust your balls, buddy boy, is the
Mother of all bitches.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Flasherly
2019-09-30 23:09:49 UTC
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 22:36:59 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
That told 'im.
Now that things are simplified.

The crossover point for the processor, I bought, whose price had fell
through the floor on the release of the Ryzen series, though an
earlier AMD than Ryzen, is just about the same cost as a Ryzen
configured core count. A six core CPU will "generally" achieve that
effect minimum but 8- and 12-core Ryzens are presently both price
considerations, increasingly pushed into lowest dollar value to
optimal computational power, especially the 8-core Ryzen.

Out of curiosity I briefly looked over some recent MBs and brands I
favor. There's not even a hint of those first Ryzen releases,
inclusive of W7 drivers -- it's W10 all the way for straight across
the board.

What Microsoft has to decree -- The Last Computer You Will EVER Own --
may be closer, although that's not quite sealed for truth. Beneath
that particular MB clause, for supportive drivers it's assembled for
presentment in hope someone will be interested -- it is said: This MB
will run a Ryzen, (I didn't bother to run a brand/processor specific
release sheet), on both LINUX and Red Hat LINUX.

Same as it always was. There's a WEB which runs predominately on
LINUX (which is also produced for an expensive and commerical OS) and
there's something else, a dog and pony show, Microsoft increasing
sources out, or would like to, of India, for everyone else.

A lot of time in passing to come this far, to an undeniable Microsoft
who turns its back at mention of *NIX, and a Microsoft seen
increasingly positioned actively to annihilate freeware, presumably
for some cloud-sourced if not rental potential exclusive to a pact
with India, its markets and technical resources.

It's almost as fundamental and as ancient a role as mercenaries
serving oligarchies when not parttime pirates. Once you've got them,
hit hard enough to leave just a little, because coming back regularly
for loot sure beats scratching in the scorched earth.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 00:39:41 UTC
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
[...]
Windows Driver Model was designed to be forward compatible to a large
extent but not backwards compatible. You need to accept joyfully the
latest and greatest that Big Brother has on offer as a complete package,
all shiny and new so Magpie's will look down upon you seething with
envy. Is this truly not what you really want. Give up the fight. Seek
only the promise of happiness and a warm bosom for a pillow.

Flasherly
2019-10-01 01:43:39 UTC
On Tue, 01 Oct 2019 01:39:41 +0100, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
Windows Driver Model was designed to be forward compatible to a large
extent but not backwards compatible. You need to accept joyfully the
latest and greatest that Big Brother has on offer as a complete package,
all shiny and new so Magpie's will look down upon you seething with
envy. Is this truly not what you really want. Give up the fight. Seek
only the promise of happiness and a warm bosom for a pillow.
Of course, and rightfully it has so to do when standards change at
some acceptable discrepancy advanced. SATA drive storage, I saw a
direct Chinese link to 512G models for $34/US this week;- SATA may be
5x slower than SS memory drives in the newer thruput configurations,
though. PCI slots simply now aren't, perhaps one, along with another,
or two, at a reduced factor. Whether more is as much to say the same
-- regardless and in any way possible present MB prices will screw you
true blue and fast. Although decency yet remains, there are decent
MBs priced accordingly. However fewer and however presumably they
remain to last.

My "last generation" (AMD) MB/CPU. The CPU dropped in priced, like a
bomb, when the Ryzen hit. Curiously, though, it hasn't changed since,
but may have even went up. Whereas the MB, forget it: It's now an
"aftermarket" item, at a high premium, outlandishly so with an
exclusive and up to 400% markup. Which would be in effect to say,
value smacks right between the eyes for value, that this new "Internet
of Things" is full of crap. Exceptions being, such as the Ryzen,
which does have a tier of at least some supportive MB manufacturers,
which do stand out for their reasonable prices for faster and improved
Ryzen gear, over what costs were for gear over a year to two ago.

So much for hardware. A long shot, by and far, from software.

I'm not accepting one damn thing joyfully about software that's
depreciated into having effectively to run off a developer's platform,
across virtualized machines to access and organize unsupported
freeware programs. And what their counterpoint purports to offer,
recompiled exclusively for a terminal or cloud subscription, active
monitoring services now renders inasmuch for a full-circle.

You started with a PC Revolution from garages of enthusiasts with
skills for specialty applications not generally appreciable (often
unaffordably so) to the mass. Enough enthusiasts, though, that IBM
got its ass burned royally and Gates ran away with the mint. I
largely don't see a difference between switching to Linux or a
suitable (officially unsupported) variant to access, on an placebo of
Microsoft for a virtual machine supportive of suitable older programs
and freeware. Skillsets and an idea of learning, I can only imagine,
that they'll involve to unnecessarily "kludge" together what is
altogether counterproductive, from greed and monopolistically
motivated present sate, altogether ethically reprehensible when judged
from an outward reception to American business practices in courtrooms
across Europe.

It's not Big Brother scratching their asses in a free enterprise
system carrying on planned obsolesce over a tradition from swaths of
utility, not where there's a penny that can be squeezed off to the
ruin of all else. It's what Americans exemplify. We're a class act,
all right.
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2019-10-01 09:58:37 UTC
Post by p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
[...]
Microsoft is so way down my list of bad suppliers. The quality of their
products is good and the value varies from reasonable to a bit pricey
depending on use and how you perceive value objectively from your place
in the pecking order.

The online world is crazy but fighting it in any more than a cursory
manner is on the route to penury.

What's a cat to do. I was taught from a kitten to duck and dive and keep
my head down. If it tastes sour don't eat it. There's plenty of sweet
tasting fruit. Just be careful what you pick.

Soviet_Mario
2019-09-30 16:49:43 UTC
Post by Yrrah
[...]
[JOKE ON]

Linux is considering ignoring Edge porting to itself :) :) :)

moreover

Linux-users also are considering ignoring Edge tout court :)

[JOKE OFF]
--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2019-09-30 17:14:58 UTC
Post by Yrrah
x-posted: alt.comp.freeware,alt.os.linux
"Microsoft is trying to find one more home for its revamped Edge
browser. Its Technical Program Manager for web, Sean Larson, has put
out a new survey on Twitter asking feedback from developers who depend
on Linux for development, testing, and other stuff.
Just another Chromium-based browser? :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):