Best Backup Software?
Nymphetamine
2003-11-30 15:40:12 UTC
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.

Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.

Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?

Thanks!
George Richards
2003-11-30 15:56:20 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
Thanks!
Backup programs that are currently nominated for this groups Pricelessware
designation can be found at
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#BackupFiles
HTH
NetMaster
2003-11-30 23:52:59 UTC

{:-) Happy Holidays

http://LNGIFTS.home.insightbb.com
http://www.QuickInfo247.com/8306069
http://www.MalakYAH.FreeStoreClub.com
http://www.MalakYAH.WebStoreClub.com
http://www.Hop.ClickBank.net/?MalakYAH/Surveys2
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=YESQNAXYEGZGE
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
Thanks!
Backup programs that are currently nominated for this groups Pricelessware
designation can be found at
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#BackupFiles

--
HTH

---
Nymphetamine
2003-12-03 19:46:24 UTC
Post by George Richards
Backup programs that are currently nominated for this groups Pricelessware
designation can be found at
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#BackupFiles
Well I tested every back up program mentioned in this thread, and the
only one that worked for me was one of those at the pricelessware.org
site: Karen's Replicator http://www.karenware.com/

It was the ONLY program that automatically deleted folders from the
destination location that were not in the source location while
backing up the source, thereby creating an exact copy. Excellent
program.
John Fitzsimons
2003-12-04 00:49:11 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
Post by George Richards
Backup programs that are currently nominated for this groups Pricelessware
designation can be found at
http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL2004SYSTEMUTILITIES.htm#BackupFiles
Well I tested every back up program mentioned in this thread, and the
only one that worked for me was one of those at the pricelessware.org
site: Karen's Replicator http://www.karenware.com/
It was the ONLY program that automatically deleted folders from the
destination location that were not in the source location while
backing up the source, thereby creating an exact copy. Excellent
program.
You obviously didn't check things out properly. XXCopy will do what
you said in the last paragraph with it's /clone command.

Regards, John.
,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/
Nymphetamine
I didn't even bother with xxcopy because of its /command interface.
Harvey Van Sickle
2003-11-30 16:39:30 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
What are the pros and cons of the .qic format? The reason I'm curious
is that I've been using Backup MY PC -- choosing no compression, but
backing up to .qic files -- since for me, using the format isn't in
itself a problem. (It's a standalone PC, and if everything collapsed
and I needed to rely on the disks I've burned, I'd be using a new
machine on which I can install Backup My PC.)

But I've always been a bit uneasy that .qic files aren't directly
readable in Windows -- that one needs software to translate the format.

So the short question is: does using .qic put data at any risk (or is
avoiding it purely an issue of convenience for transferring to machines
without suitable software)?
--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Nymphetamine
2003-12-01 01:24:59 UTC
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
What are the pros and cons of the .qic format?
I don't like it for 2 reasons - You need to restore when you want
access to the backups, and you need the program to open it.
Bob Cunningham
2003-12-01 01:45:28 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
What are the pros and cons of the .qic format?
I don't like it for 2 reasons - You need to restore when you want
access to the backups, and you need the program to open it.
I find those remarks sort of amazing. I've used a previous
generation of the Stomp software, which was provided with my
Seagate tape drive. Since the software is nearly identical,
I assume the tape-drive backup also wrote a QIC file, but I
never knew it 'til I read it here. I still find it
completely unsignificant, since the Backup/Restore software
makes it transparent to the user.

I can't imagine a better way to restore than to use the
"Restore" option in the backup software. It gives you a
directory of the backup contents in a similar format to the
one Windows gives you for a directory on your hard disk.
When you select the file(s) you want to restore, it gives
you direct access to them.

Why would anyone want to restore any other way? Why should
anyone care that the backup is in QIC format or any other
transparent format?
Nymphetamine
2003-12-01 10:59:33 UTC
Post by Bob Cunningham
Post by Nymphetamine
Post by Harvey Van Sickle
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
What are the pros and cons of the .qic format?
I don't like it for 2 reasons - You need to restore when you want
access to the backups, and you need the program to open it.
Why would anyone want to restore any other way? Why should
anyone care that the backup is in QIC format or any other
transparent format?
I already explained why:

1) If your backup software fails, your backup files are inaccessible.

2) If you just want access to one file inside a deep directory from a
huge .qic file, its clearly an inconvenient process, unlike if there
was just a straight copy.
Bernd Schmitt
2003-12-01 11:44:22 UTC
[...] also wrote a QIC file, but I
never knew it 'til I read it here. I still find it
completely unsignificant, since the Backup/Restore software
makes it transparent to the user.
There might be a slight difference it what people understand, if talking
of transparent ...
Why would anyone want to restore any other way?
Maybe you get the backup medias, but there is no software (free available)?
Maybe the software does not support the OS (version) you want to use?
Maybe some people want to be an unrestricted owner of their date?
Howard Kaikow
2003-12-02 14:46:09 UTC
ALL backup, as opposed to drive image, programs use a special format, be it
QIC or otherwise.
QIC format is based on tape technology and is, to be polite, brain dead
compared to disk based backup formats, such as those used by Dantz
Retrospect and other more modern backup programs.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
R***@inu.net
2003-12-02 19:05:06 UTC
Post by Howard Kaikow
ALL backup, as opposed to drive image, programs use a special format, be it
QIC or otherwise.
QIC format is based on tape technology and is, to be polite, brain dead
compared to disk based backup formats, such as those used by Dantz
Retrospect and other more modern backup programs.
Xcopy and xxcopy simply copy files. There is no special format here.
Some GUI backup simply copy files with the option to zip the backup
set.

Drive images are a special format aren't they?

WhItE RaBBiT

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/rkopie/rkopie.htm
Michael J. Leaver
2003-12-01 15:29:07 UTC
Have a look at SyncBack:

http://www.mjleaver.com/Software/software.htm

I'm going to release version 2.0 real-soon-now-really (tm). It's very
simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to do: backup or synchronise
directories.
Bob Adkins
2003-12-01 15:51:58 UTC
Post by Michael J. Leaver
http://www.mjleaver.com/Software/software.htm
I'm going to release version 2.0 real-soon-now-really (tm). It's very
simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to do: backup or synchronise
directories.
Nice little program.

All it needs is an option for zip compression and a few nick knacks and you
have a great program.

Bob
Bob Adkins
2003-12-01 16:03:48 UTC
Post by Michael J. Leaver
I'm going to release version 2.0 real-soon-now-really (tm). It's very
simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to do: backup or synchronise
directories.
Oh yes, and I think it needs auto backup scheduling for each job. :)

Bob
Jim Williamson
2003-12-01 16:22:37 UTC
Post by Bob Adkins
Post by Michael J. Leaver
I'm going to release version 2.0 real-soon-now-really (tm). It's very
simple, and does exactly what it's supposed to do: backup or synchronise
directories.
Oh yes, and I think it needs auto backup scheduling for each job. :)
Does it have the ability to auto-eject a tape at the end of a job (for the
drives that will handle eject's)?

I've not (yet) looked at the app.

Jim
Michael J. Leaver
2003-12-02 02:28:39 UTC
It's in version 2, along with a few other things, e.g. auto-verify,
simulated runs, etc. Once I finish the help file, it will be on the site.
Probably one week from now.

Thanks
Bob
Bob Adkins
2003-12-02 12:32:19 UTC
Post by Michael J. Leaver
It's in version 2, along with a few other things, e.g. auto-verify,
simulated runs, etc. Once I finish the help file, it will be on the site.
Probably one week from now.
Be sure to announce it here! :)

Bob
kreatikl
2003-12-01 12:01:50 UTC
dont know if it is the best
but i use the freeware version 1.4 of MrMirror
Bob Adkins
2003-12-01 14:57:34 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
Good luck! I have never found a truly satisfactory backup program that's
convenient to use. My fave is Cobain, but it's far from perfect.

If Freeware authors want a great backup program to aspire to, this Shareware
program is the absolute bomb:

Second Copy 2000 at http://www.centered.com/

It's as simple or as complex as one could want, is small and portable. Fits
on a FDD.

Bob
Jim Williamson
2004-02-15 04:38:52 UTC
Somewhat recently there were a few threads that referenced backup software.
I had been keeping those messages for reference and today I reduced the
messages to the basic information. Here it is if you care.

All links valid as of this posting.
================
Cobian Backup v5
http://www2.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cbu5.htm

e-STOR
http://www.e-stor.com

GPbackup
http://www.gpmicro.com

Handy Backup
http://www.handybackup.com

Polder Backup
http://www.xs4all.nl/~philippo/PolderBackup.htm

Second Copy 2000
http://www.centered.com

SyncBack
http://www.mjleaver.com/Software/software.htm

Xxcopy
http://www.xxcopy.com
NicK
2004-02-15 05:14:09 UTC
Post by Jim Williamson
[...]
New group alt.backup-software?

Thanks for cross posting your gathered information!

Appreciated.
Keenan P.
2004-02-15 05:23:14 UTC
Post by Jim Williamson
[...]
Not all freeware!
POKO
--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design
***@vianet.ca
A.A. Fussy
2004-02-15 06:27:09 UTC
Post by Keenan P.
Post by Jim Williamson
[...]
Jim, can you add this freeware backup program by Babya Software Group?:
Babya bSync 2.0:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1043043006
olfart
2004-02-15 07:50:39 UTC
Also Freebyte Backup at www.freebyte.com
Alastair Smeaton
2004-02-15 08:50:11 UTC
Also Freebyte Backup at www.freebyte.com
Replicator by Karen Kenworthy

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
Mark Carter
2004-02-15 10:44:40 UTC
Post by Bob Cunningham
Post by Jim Williamson
Somewhat recently there were a few threads that referenced backup
software.
Also consider:

MOB (My Own Backup)
http://www.softlookup.com/preview/dis8904.html .

Peter's Backup
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pbackup/

which I mention on my webpage:
http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/favourite.html
Mark Iceman
2004-02-16 18:22:36 UTC
To add to the list:

Argentum Backup 2.1

http://www.argentuma.com/backup/
http://www.argentuma.com/ab.exe (0.9 MB)

Highlights:

- Extremely user-friendly.
- Extremely small, fast and reliable.
- Simply creates Zip files.
- A rich set of built-in backup templates.
- Argentum Backup is cheap but good.

Regards,
Xxcopy
Bjorn Simonsen
2004-02-16 19:44:10 UTC
Mark Iceman cross-posted
Post by Mark Iceman
- Argentum Backup is cheap but good.
Not freeware, please do not cross-post to alt.comp.freeware
when it is not.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen
Bjorn Simonsen
2004-02-16 19:34:13 UTC
Post by Jim Williamson
All links valid as of this posting.
adding two:

# Back it up! <http://w1.321.telia.com/~u32102551/>

text from website:
<quote>
Back it up! Version 5.1.4.110 1,64 MB Freeware
A backup program. Backup creates ZIP files, mirror functions via copy
or FTP. Several backup sets can be configured. Folders and separate
files can be added to each backup set. For each backup set there's the
option to delete specified files depending on the extension you enter.
For each backup set extension for files that should not be included in
the backup can be specified. Back it up! takes command line arguments
so it can be executed from a batch files for example. Or create
special shortcuts(wizards built in for this).
</quote>

# Autozip <http://www.gene6.com/?page=products&lang=en&sub=3>

from website:
<quote>
G6 AutoZip 0.1 336KB - Create zip archives using current date and
time as name.
</quote>

from <help.txt> in distr.archive:
<quote>
G6 AutoZip is a simple program designed to create zip files using
the currenttime/date as name. Combined to the Windows Task
Manager, you'll be able to archive some specified files
periodically in a different zip file. You can use a configuration
file as parameter or archive some specified files manually.
G6 AutoZip is FREEWARE. If you use it and like it, you can send me an
email ;)
</quote>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen
Spacey Spade
2004-02-17 10:08:18 UTC
Post by Jim Williamson
[...]
I like using Vice Versa Free. http://tgrmn.com
Darn... they don't appear to have the free version anymore... if anyone
is interested I can upload.
Duddits
2004-02-17 19:52:21 UTC
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:08:18 GMT, Spacey Spade
Post by Spacey Spade
I like using Vice Versa Free. http://tgrmn.com
Darn... they don't appear to have the free version anymore... if anyone
is interested I can upload.
Please up it to alt.binaries.freeware or the ng of your choice.

regards

Dud
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem
Spacey Spade
2004-02-21 04:57:52 UTC
Post by Spacey Spade
I like using Vice Versa Free. http://tgrmn.com
Darn... they don't appear to have the free version anymore... if anyone
is interested I can upload.
Please up it to alt.binaries.freeware or the ng of your choice.
regards
Dud
Well... let me know how I did as I've never uploaded a binary before...
looks like I doubled up the name.

Bernd Schmitt
2003-12-01 18:02:52 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
I do use a script-combination of tar, mkisofs, cdrecord (and grep) for
multivolume CD-Backups.
They are all free and command line oriented, so I can customize them
(scheduling, incremental, ...).

Bernd
R***@inu.net
2003-12-02 12:46:49 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
Xxcopy!

http://www.xxcopy.com/

You can achieve your goal with xcopy that comes with Windows and a
small batch file.

xcopy /s/e/v/d c:\*.* f:\

The d switch allows for only copying files newer than the backup file
date.

Xxcopy is far superior though.

~245k with the 16 bit executable that you probably don't need.

Andy Axnot
2003-12-02 23:09:06 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
Thanks!
Someone already recommended looking at the Pricelessware the nominations
page for backup software. The software that I use, Polder Backup, is on
that list, and I would like to recommend it. You get your choice of zipped
or non-zipped backups, and it can do incremental backups. An incremental
backup is one which only backs up changed or added files after the initial
backup.

For zipped backups, every single file backed up is backed up to its own
zipped file. So a corrupted zip file will only lose the data in that file,
not an entire folder or disk.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~philippo/PolderBackup.htm

Andy
tfog
I second Polder Backup. Also, try Cobian Backup v5.
Richard Steven Hack
2003-12-03 13:31:59 UTC
Post by Nymphetamine
I have Bounceback Express but I wanted something better, and everyone
recomended Stomp Backup My PC so I tried that.
Stomp backs up to a .qic file, something I find very inconvenient.
Whats the best software for "real" back ups, no compression or
converting to a file, just copying all the files to a different
location with real-time updating?
I recently fought with BASK again to remember which configuration
would actually do what I wanted to do. I got fed up and looked at
xxcopy.

While this was in several instances also a pain to get to do what I
wanted (if one of its numerous switches conflicts with another, it
doesn't say so, it just doesn't do what you want - or does nothing at
all), it was FAR more flexible than any GUI-based freeware backup tool
I've tried to use.

Mainly the problem with most of these programs is if you have a LOT of
directories you want to back up AND you don't want to back ALL of them
up. Most of the GUI utilities use a "checkbox" approach to selecting
directories to back up. This doesn't work worth a damn when you have
over 1,200 directories to back up. XXcopy on the other hand has a
"directory wild card" feature which allows you to use wildcards to
select select directories - you can also use exclusion lists (which
you can simply edit in a command file) to exclude directories
(unfortunately the exclusion lists do NOT use the wild-card feature).

And since this is a DOS program, it is FAST. It's not expending tons
of CPU cycles going through a Windows library or DLL to put
information on the screen while it's running.

And since it's a command line program, you can easily write a batch
file to run it, which, combined with its own command file capability,
allows you to configure it to do just about anything. Far more
flexible than any GUI utility.

And its 200 or so switches allow you to select and manipulate files
and directories just about any way you can think of.

It's definitely not perfect. But it's more powerful and almost as
easy to use as some of the more powerful freeware backup utilities.

But the best tools I think are on Linux - and they can be used to
backup Windows files as well. Nothing like the selection capability
of regular expressions coupled with the ability to pipe to cdrecord -
which even allows you to specify the burn speed of your CD burner -
something none of the Windows GUI backup utilities can do.

If XXCopy supported regular expressions and piping, it would be
killer. Don't know if you can use it to pipe into the Windows
versions of cdrecord.

I'm exploring some of the GUI front-ends to the Linux backup utilities
now. Perhaps I can figure out a way to use them to backup my Windows
partitions as well as my Linux files - since most of my data right now
is in FAT32 partitions.

--
Richard Steven Hack
"Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger" -
and YOU have not killed me!
BillR
2003-12-04 18:50:41 UTC
<Snip>
Post by Richard Steven Hack
I recently fought with BASK again to remember which configuration
would actually do what I wanted to do. I got fed up and looked at
xxcopy.
<Snip>

Thanks for an informative review.

BillR