How to colorize a black and white portrait
Mad Roger
2017-09-09 05:18:51 UTC
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-09-09 06:08:23 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 05:18:51 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
Elvira
2017-09-09 11:53:38 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
You must be British.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/colorize
Andy Burns
2017-09-09 12:03:30 UTC
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/colourize
NY
2017-09-09 13:31:52 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
You must be British.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/colorize
As a Brit, I think I might have spelled it colourise, with the redundant U
that we use. I always spell words like that the British way, but I hardly
notice the different US spelling now - probably the only time I need to take
care is where it matters in programming languages and HTML, when procedures
or keywords *must* be spelled the US way.
Keith Nuttle
2017-09-09 18:03:51 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
To slightly hijack the tread, is there a Windows preferably freeware
program that will shift the colors in the old Kodak Kodachrome film
back to its original hues?
2017: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Poutnik
2017-09-09 18:17:00 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
To slightly hijack the tread, is there a Windows preferably freeware
program that will shift the colors in the old Kodak Kodachrome film back
to its original hues?
Programs like Avisynth allow you to do with a film nearly whatever you want,
just preprocessing for the viewing, or processing the record.

But you will have to provide a feedback how it should look like.
--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.
Poutnik
2017-09-09 18:28:57 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
To slightly hijack the tread, is there a Windows preferably freeware
program that will shift the colors in the old Kodak Kodachrome film back
to its original hues?
Programs like Avisynth allow you to do with a film nearly whatever you want,
just preprocessing for the viewing, or processing the record.
But you will have to provide a feedback how it should look like.
See also
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Internal_filters
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters
https://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Poutnik
2017-09-09 18:35:51 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
No, but you might find good Windows freeware to believably colorise
a b&w portrait.
To slightly hijack the tread, is there a Windows preferably freeware
program that will shift the colors in the old Kodak Kodachrome film back
to its original hues?
Programs like Avisynth allow you to do with a film nearly whatever you want,
just preprocessing for the viewing, or processing the record.
But you will have to provide a feedback how it should look like.
See also
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Internal_filters
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters
https://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33
P.S.> But avisynth can be a cannon for sparrows.
You may try Avidemux and its color filtering.

Poutnik
2017-09-09 06:20:29 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
IMHO, all of them would require
a lot of manual work, experience, learning and brain activity.
The result satisfaction may not be worthy of the effort.

You may try GIMP and some his supporting plugins,
but.. I wish you good luck, good eye, fine hand and lot of patience.

Mad Roger
2017-09-09 12:36:52 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 08:20:29 +0200,
Post by Poutnik
IMHO, all of them would require
a lot of manual work, experience, learning and brain activity.
The result satisfaction may not be worthy of the effort.
While I don't want an online tool, I tried one and it was pretty easy.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=colorize+black+and+white+photos+online

You choose a skin color from an existing (Paul Newman by default) color
picture and then you "paint" softly with a brush the skin on the B&W photo.
Then you choose an eye color from an existing color picture and you adjust
the radius and paint the iris. Same with lips. Hair was a bit more
difficult because of how dark it was in the B&W.
http://www.colorizephoto.com/

But I'm looking for an /offline/ freeware program to colorize a B&W photo.
Paul
2017-09-09 06:31:36 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
You're going to have to work at it.

http://gizmodo.com/ai-powered-software-makes-it-incredibly-easy-to-coloriz-1795298582

Paul
Poutnik
2017-09-09 06:43:04 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
You're going to have to work at it.
http://gizmodo.com/ai-powered-software-makes-it-incredibly-easy-to-coloriz-1795298582
   Paul
https://github.com/junyanz/interactive-deep-colorization

Prerequisites

Linux or OSX
Caffe
CPU or NVIDIA GPU + CUDA CuDNN.
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )
Paul
2017-09-09 07:12:11 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Post by Paul
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
You're going to have to work at it.
http://gizmodo.com/ai-powered-software-makes-it-incredibly-easy-to-coloriz-1795298582
Paul
https://github.com/junyanz/interactive-deep-colorization
Prerequisites
Linux or OSX
Caffe
CPU or NVIDIA GPU + CUDA CuDNN.
If you want the latest method, you have to do the work.

Paul
Poutnik
2017-09-09 07:47:22 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Poutnik
Post by Paul
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
You're going to have to work at it.
http://gizmodo.com/ai-powered-software-makes-it-incredibly-easy-to-coloriz-1795298582
https://github.com/junyanz/interactive-deep-colorization
Prerequisites
    Linux or OSX
    Caffe
    CPU or NVIDIA GPU + CUDA CuDNN.
If you want the latest method, you have to do the work.
   Paul
You mean the OP, as I do not have to.
I have just pointed out it was not for Windows.
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )
Mad Roger
2017-09-09 12:36:53 UTC
On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 09:47:22 +0200,
Post by Poutnik
You mean the OP, as I do not have to.
I have just pointed out it was not for Windows.
While the online web sites are aplenty.
https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/18/12216406/colorize-black-and-white-photos-algorithmia-tool-image-editing

I'm looking for an imagemagick filter which might work.
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=24682

These are some of the available filters.
http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/colorfilter/index.php
Diesel
2017-09-12 03:56:59 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Post by Paul
Post by Poutnik
Post by Paul
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
You're going to have to work at it.
http://gizmodo.com/ai-powered-software-makes-it-incredibly-easy-
to-coloriz-1795298582
https://github.com/junyanz/interactive-deep-colorization
Prerequisites
    Linux or OSX
    Caffe
    CPU or NVIDIA GPU + CUDA CuDNN.
If you want the latest method, you have to do the work.
   Paul
You mean the OP, as I do not have to.
I have just pointed out it was not for Windows.
It's not native Windows software, no. But, that can be worked around,
if one is willing to put forth the effort.
--
Now for a cheeky message from our sponsors:
Football is a bunch of millionaires ruining a lawn -- Charlie Brooker
Poutnik
2017-09-12 05:16:37 UTC
Post by Diesel
Post by Poutnik
You mean the OP, as I do not have to.
I have just pointed out it was not for Windows.
It's not native Windows software, no. But, that can be worked around,
if one is willing to put forth the effort.
Sure, in the age of double booting and virtual machines.

Paul
2017-09-13 15:07:17 UTC
Post by Poutnik
Post by Diesel
Post by Poutnik
You mean the OP, as I do not have to.
I have just pointed out it was not for Windows.
It's not native Windows software, no. But, that can be worked around,
if one is willing to put forth the effort.
Sure, in the age of double booting and virtual machines.
Here's the tool I decided to use.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/autocolorize

Relies on caffe at least. Caffe with Python3 bindings needs
a separate .ppa. Caffe with Python2 might be in your repository.

I installed the following, and almost got it working. The
color palette didn't show up, but the neural network loaded OK.
Something broke part way through, and because there were no debug
messages worth a damn on the screen with regard to "icolor"
window, I couldn't figure out where the lab_gamut comes from,
and what I needed to fix. But at least this encouraged me to get
set up with all the junk (scilab, numpy, caffe) needed, so I was
mostly familiar with what the one above was installing.

https://github.com/junyanz/interactive-deep-colorization

The trick with all this stuff, is making sure all the packages
you install, have Python2 or Python3 bindings. I would get
almost there, and realize "damn, this one is missing Python3"
and so on. It was a royal pain making sure the separately
installed packages all lined up. That's because the entire
project isn't in a repository, with a nice "meta install"
for it to drag in the dependencies.

The interactive-deep-colorization page has sample images in the
download. And that's what I used for this run of the
Autocolorize software.

The command used (I have caffe_cpu installed, as I have no GPU
worth using for Deep Neural Network usage) is below. I made a copy
of the parrot file, so it wouldn't get deleted by accident, and
that's what parrot2 is.

/home/paul/.local/bin/autocolorize -d cpu ~/Downloads/ideepcolor/test_imgs/parrot2.jpg -o ~/Downloads/ideepcolor/test_imgs/out2.jpg

And this is the comparison, source on the top, *auto* colorized
result on the bottom.

Notice that it wasn't able to "color within the lines".
The source photo really didn't look all that bad, in
terms of encouraging that kind of result. The orange
seems to have leaked out.

The hardest part of doing this, was finding the
energy to try it :-) Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Could you do that in Windows ? Uh, probably. There are
bits and pieces for Windows, but it was such a PITA to
get the Linux version running, I really don't think I
have the energy. If you find a website coloring things
automatically, it just might be using the above software.

The autocolorize program will download its own data files,
about 500MB worth. The files might not be exactly the
same as the interactive-deep-colorization ones. I haven't
bothered doing any forensics on those files (yet). Like,
why weren't they compressed, to save on downloads.

Now, isn't doing *zero painting* worth it ?

The results look damn good, for zero mouse clicks.

It's all done with a single command line invocation
(and a long delay as the 6GB of neural network stuff
is loaded). The neural network was trained on images,
to help it color within the lines, and recognize textured
areas. The messages printed on the screen when caffe loads
that, hints at what factors were used to build the
neural network.

If you had a modern video card of the right flavor,
that would run a lot faster than my conversion did.
It's a snoozer on a CPU. Caffe seemed to be running
on one core, and I couldn't find an option to use
more cores.

Paul
Poutnik
2017-09-13 15:35:28 UTC
Post by Paul
Here's the tool I decided to use.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/autocolorize
Relies on caffe at least. Caffe with Python3 bindings needs
a separate .ppa. Caffe with Python2 might be in your repository.
[..]
It's all done with a single command line invocation
(and a long delay as the 6GB of neural network stuff
is loaded). The neural network was trained on images,
to help it color within the lines, and recognize textured
areas. The messages printed on the screen when caffe loads
that, hints at what factors were used to build the
neural network.
[...]
Hmm, impressive effort of yourself and of the NN stuff and staff.

Videoframeserver Avisynth uses NN as well, trained on huge data of
videos, for some of its deinterlacing plugins like NNEDI3.

About colorizing, I would be super lazy,
thinking it is better to keep it B/W. :-D

Andy Burns
2017-09-13 17:19:43 UTC
Post by Paul
Here's the tool I decided to use.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/autocolorize
The successful examples on their web page look impressive, I wonder how
many unsuccessful ones they chose not to use?

<http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~larsson/colorization/>
Paul
2017-09-13 18:08:42 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Paul
Here's the tool I decided to use.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/autocolorize
The successful examples on their web page look impressive, I wonder how
many unsuccessful ones they chose not to use?
<http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~larsson/colorization/>
Do you notice how the dogs paw has the color bleed problem ?

The NN considers the paw pixels, to be part of the womans arm.

I'm just amazed by the color choices it's making.
Compared to the "random" coloring of other methods,
it is still impressive.

And the flamingo picture, the second flamingo
in the background, not enough color "flowed" into
that one, leaving it anemic.

I would say, even with their carefully chosen
pictures, you can see a class of problems with it.
There must be some way to fix that.

Paul

Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-09 09:52:09 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
Auto-magically? No!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Mayayana
2017-09-09 12:35:10 UTC
"Mad Roger" <***@yahoo.com> wrote

| Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?

This doesn't answer the question, but I've had good
luck in the past doing a sepia-type wash. It lends
atmosphere and a sense of color.
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2017-09-13 15:38:39 UTC
Post by Mad Roger
Is there good Windows freeware to believably colorize a b&w portrait?
BTW, check out how Hollywood paints and color old black-and-white movies!