Betterbird?
Add Reply
Jim the Geordie
2024-10-16 12:19:44 UTC
When suggesting a new 'Betterbird' group on
alt.comp.software.thunderbird it was suggested that Betterbird is in
fact 'freeware' and I should look in this group. So here I am.
Without me ploughing through all the back threads, is there any
Betterbird discussion in this group?
Jim the Geordie
VanguardLH
2024-10-16 19:02:29 UTC
Post by Jim the Geordie
When suggesting a new 'Betterbird' group on
alt.comp.software.thunderbird it was suggested that Betterbird is in
fact 'freeware' and I should look in this group. So here I am.
Without me ploughing through all the back threads, is there any
Betterbird discussion in this group?
I don't remember any Betterbird stuff, but it couldn't been one-off
posts that get forgotten. Don't know why you were suggested to come
here. BOTH Thunderbird and Betterbird are free, yet Thunderbird has its
own newsgroup. Also, Betterbird is a fork of Thunderbird. Much of what
is right or wrong about Betterbird stems from Thunderbird.

Thunderbird has a team of developers. Betterbird is maintained by one
guy, because he rides on updates to Thunderbird, but he makes fixes that
Thunderbird seems to ignore, or take too long to address. All his fixes
are submitted to Thunderbird. There are far more Thunderbird users than
Betterbird.

The one guy claims he doesn't have the resources to support all his
users (despite I've seen one author support his software for his users).
Submissions to bugzilla.mozilla.org may get seen by this guy, but I
suspect he waits until Thunderbird addresses the ticket. He fixes the
ones he wants.

https://www.betterbird.eu/support/index.html
"Should you contact us with an individual issue, if we chose to
troubleshoot the issue, this support will not be free of charge and a
minimum donation to the project will be required."

For donationware, some users donate, but most don't. If you need
something fixed by him, you'll need to donate if you haven't already.
He doesn't publish an e-mail address, but the above page has a "contact
us" link which uses Javascript to obfuscate his e-mail address (he wants
it hidden, so I won't expose it here). The script will load whatever is
your default local e-mail client with the To field pre-loaded. You can
also report bugs (not for help on usage) at his Github project where he
hosts his code, at ***@betterbird.eu, but I did not see an Issues
tab where you report issues. Maybe visitors cannot see the Issues tab
until they login which means they need a Github account. I have an old
Github account, logged in, but those assholes foist 2FA security
theater, so I had to wait until the e-mail arrived to then enter the 2FA
code into their web form. I hate 2FA, because it is a nuisance,
designed to overcome boobs that reuse weak passwords, and is a lie that
it more securely authenticates (using insecure SMS/text and email).
After finally getting logged in, there was still no Issues tab. Good
luck reporting bugs at his Github project. I don't use Bbird, so no
idea how responsive he is to email requests or reports.

Note: Thunderbird is also donationware, but you aren't forced to donate
to submit bug tickets at bugzilla.mozilla.org. However, the community
there is technically expert. Not a place to submit casual requests on
how to use the software.

Else, visit the Thunderbird newsgroup is the issue is on how to use the
program; however, there are some difference, and the number of
Betterbird visitor to that newsgroup is a lot smaller than Tbird users.
Gary R. Schmidt
2024-10-17 01:12:38 UTC
Post by Jim the Geordie
When suggesting a new 'Betterbird' group on
alt.comp.software.thunderbird it was suggested that Betterbird is in
fact 'freeware' and I should look in this group. So here I am.
Without me ploughing through all the back threads, is there any
Betterbird discussion in this group?
No, there isn't, just the occasional update mention cross-posted with
the Thunderbird group.

The person who suggested you go here is... Well, I'd ignore them.

As Betterbird is just a slight fork of Thunderbird, the Thunderbird
newsfroup is the best place for discussion.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
occam
2024-10-17 10:17:41 UTC
Post by Jim the Geordie
When suggesting a new 'Betterbird' group on
alt.comp.software.thunderbird it was suggested that Betterbird is in
fact 'freeware' and I should look in this group. So here I am.
Without me ploughing through all the back threads, is there any
Betterbird discussion in this group?
Thunderbird = Betterbird + advance bug fixes

I have posted all my Betterbird questions in
alt.comp.software.thunderbird.

The answers for TB apply to BB. All, except perhaps those pertaining to
'bugs' in TB.