Psiphon
Add Reply
Allan Higdon
2024-09-23 11:54:11 UTC
"Psiphon is a robust and popular circumvention tool that provides users =
with open access to the internet, bypassing censorship and restrictions =
imposed by governments, organizations, or internet service providers.

=EF=BB=BFWith a focus on privacy and freedom of information, Psiphon ena=
bles users to securely navigate the web and access blocked or censored c=
ontent. Its best feature is its robust network infrastructure, which com=
prises a network of servers strategically located around the world. Thes=
e servers act as access points for users, allowing them to connect to th=
e internet through various entry points, further enhancing privacy and a=
nonymity. Psiphon offers a user-friendly interface that makes it easy fo=
r users to connect to the Psiphon network and browse the web securely. U=
sers simply need to install the software on their device and with a sing=
le click, they can establish a connection and begin accessing restricted=
content."

https://www.fosshub.com/Psiphon.html

Portable - Standalone File

Home Page
https://psiphon.ca/

https://psiphon.ca/en/faq.html
VanguardLH
2024-09-23 20:19:49 UTC
[...]
That page shows the developer is at:

https://psiphon3.com/en/index.html
Portable - Standalone File
Home Page
https://psiphon.ca/
https://psiphon.ca/en/faq.html
A lot of long-winded gobblety gook to obfuscate they're running open
proxies. How many proxies they have depends on the number of volunteers
willing to run the software (and hopefully don't run afoul of the TOS
with their ISP regarding running of public servers). How well dispersed
are the proxies all depends on the number and location of volunteers.

VPNs have had their exit nodes mapped. So have the Tor exit nodes. Any
site can block a visitor using a VPN or Tor exit node. There are lists
of the exit nodes usable as block lists. Doubt it would difficult to
map out these open proxies, too. Even if you are trying to circumvent
their geofencing, any site can block connects from mapped nodes. DNS
servers can block you from getting to the proxy unless they only use IP
addresses (so a DNS server is not involved). Perimeter servers can
block you (e.g. Great Firewall of China).

Also remember that when using anyone's entry and exit nodes (might be
the same node, like for open proxies) that the operator of that node
sees your network traffic. You have to trust someone you'll never be
able to identify.

In addition, when using VPN, Tor, or public proxies, you're adding more
nodes in your route to the destination, and the slower is the
connection.

https://psiphon3.com/en/faq.html#psicash

Is this not a free service to users? What is PSIcash used for? When I
visit the buy.psi.cash they show in their FAQ, I get to a site that
blocks my access, and says I need to use the app for access. Shortening
the URL to https://[www.]psi.cash gets "not found" by the DNS server. I
can get to https://my.psi.cash/login (found with an online search on
"psicash"), but I don't have an account to get further, and I'm not
creating one. I was trying to determine just how PSIcash is purchased.
From what I found, you can get some PSIcash by visiting select store
sites. Geez, wasn't there a browser toolbar that tried to do the same:
gave you online searches, but also advertized?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/get-unlimited-psicash-for-free-for-faster-speed-with-psiphon-pro-vpn--597852919281126767/
https://www.aimtuto.com/2020/08/get-unlimited-psicash-for-free.html

So, is Psiphon operating open proxies, or managing a VPN network? Looks
like this is another bait service: free is low bandwidth, and you pay
for higher bandwidth tiers. I've seen this with some other similar
service: free with low bandwidth, pay for higher bandwidth, and the
freeloaders were, in fact, getting used with parallel connects by the
paid tier users (i.e., the freeloaders were providing the mess network
for the paid users to get higher bandwidth). Who was that?

Not only do you slow your network speed by adding more nodes in the
route between you and the destination, but you get low bandwidth unless
you pay for more. Oh, goody, just what I want: free with a carrot on a
stick as bait to move faster.

I'll pass on this claimed free VPN network.
JJ
2024-09-24 06:40:19 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
A lot of long-winded gobblety gook to obfuscate they're running open
proxies.
Agreed. We can actually check for ourselves, whether this is the case or
not. [1] Find out the public IP addresses used by the proxy (i.e. the exit
node). [2] Check the WHOIS registry on the ISP who own that IP address.

If all of the exit nodes (must be all of them) do not belong to the same
registered owner/company, it means that they're open proxies owned by
different persons/companies which are usually short-lived.
Post by VanguardLH
In addition, when using VPN, Tor, or public proxies, you're adding more
nodes in your route to the destination, and the slower is the
connection.
It's not always the case. ISPs use different network route to reach the same
destination, depending on which higher-tier ISP they're using. This includes
the ISP used by the proxy server. The total number of network nodes for a
network route to reach a destination, may end up being lesser than without
using a proxy.

FYI, the network route used by the destination's ISP to reach back to user,
is also different. This can be checked by using a remote Trace Route service
to trace the network route to users' public IP address. Compare it by
tracing the network route to that remote Trace Route service, using a local
Trace Route application.

In term of network speed, the number of network nodes in a network route, is
not the only thing which affect the network speed. The network speed of each
network node also matter. So, the number of network nodes of a network route
alone, doesn't define the network speed. A network route of many fast
network nodes would be faster than a network route of only a few but very
slow network nodes.

Take it from someone who actually use SHITTY ISP.
Post by VanguardLH
https://psiphon3.com/en/faq.html#psicash
Beware, if a VPN-like proxy can also know the URL path, it means that, that
users' privacy is not protected against that proxy itself. A trully privacy
compliant proxy should only can know the destination host name (or IP
address) and the port number the users are trying to connect. That's all.
The proxy doesn't have any business or rights to know anything else. And
Psiphon does not fall into that category.

My take on this is... Use it only for circumventing geo blocking, and if it
doesn't end up being unbearably slower for the needed sites. Don't use it in
hopes of better privacy.